Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piston -vs- DGI systems test in SAR

Feedback Score

Piston -vs- DGI systems test in SAR

Interesting article in the March SAR issue. They ran 1,000 rds through a piston upper and a std direct gas impingement upper. They did 100 rd Beta C mag dumps, full auto, reloading as fast as possible. The results were interesting. The piston upper ran like a striped ape and showed no signs of slowing down. The std upper puked after 264 rds. It had a "gas tube failure", which I take to mean it melted down and sprang a leak somewhere, as it no longer had sufficient back pressure to cycle the bolt.

Temp readings were taken at several locations. The bolt face on the piston upper reached 122 deg F after 1,036 rds. The DGI upper reached a peak of 133 deg F after 264 rds. The chamber temp of the piston gun reached 131 deg F after 1,036 rds. The DGI gun reached 115 deg F after 264 rds. The gas block temps were interesting. The piston upper reached 498 deg F after 200 rds and peaked at 697 deg F after 1, 036 rds. The DGI upper hit 339 deg F after 200 rds.

So the piston upper was found to transfer heat at a much slower rate than a direct gas impingement system. Big duh there. But the interesting thing is the gas block heats up much hotter because the gas is stopping there. The gas block is taking one for the team by absorbing a tremendous amount of heat, as the piston and op rod continue, without the gas, to cycle the bolt. But even at twice the temp of the normal gas block, the piston upper ran like a champ.

So what does this all tell us? The most striking thing that I see out of it is: to run repeated full auto mag dumps like a SOF team doing an IA drill, a piston upper is very desirable. If this very heavy firing schedule is you idea of a good time, a piston upper might be a good idea.

With a std, direct gas impingement system, it would be wise to limit full auto mag dumps to 5-6 30-rd mags. Yeah I know they did it in "Heat", and yeah it looked really awesome, but you will probably damage your weapon doing it.

What about semi-auto fire? I would be interested in seeing what kind of schedule would be equivalent to around 264 rds of full auto fire. I have cranked out over 1200 rds in a 8 hr period in a carbine course, and I never noticed my gas tube glow cherry red, as it did in this test. I would have to assume if a carbine can stick to this kind of schedule, then you will probably be OK in most any tactical situation.

The only time I ever stopped a carbine was was in training, doing a break contact drill, where I went through approx 200 rds of blanks, full auto, which carboned up the reciever so bad, the bolt stuck in the locking lugs. The gas tube was cherry red and the handguards melted down at the front corners.

So while I'm not a big fan of the piston uppers, as yet, I do see their uses for the extreme upper limit of the envelope. They may be the answer to SOF's problems with the M-4.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes. This proves it. The millions of people with FA registered lowers, LLs or RDIASs AND millions of dollars to spend on ammo need to buy piston uppers...

Feedback Score
    I dunno about that, but if you are going in harms way and expect to need full auto fire, then a piston upper makes very good sense.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    The std upper puked after 264 rds.
    While probably a cool test to conduct, the failure of one upper at 264rds does not give any empirical data with which to hypothesize anything else.

It shows that one upper had a failure at 264rds. That's all, and that's it.

I had mentioned the gas block superheating on piston uppers to someone recently offline. Glad to see that was born out with testing. It means the gas port is also being subjected to superheating.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dunno about that, but if you are going in harms way and expect to need full auto fire, then a piston upper makes very good sense.
    I think they are currently testing DI uppers under FA over in the middle east right now.

I hear they did this back in the late 60's in a place called vietnam.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    They may be the answer to SOF's problems with the M-4.
    Add suppressed fire and you will know why the 416 was born.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    I think they are currently testing DI uppers under FA over in the middle east right now.

I hear they did this back in the late 60's in a place called vietnam.

I have about had my fill of your smartass tonight. Its getting old, and getting old fast. Either discuss things in an adult manner, or find somewhere else to discuss.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    While probably a cool test to conduct, the failure of one upper at 264rds does not give any empirical data with which to hypothesize anything else.

It shows that one upper had a failure at 264rds. That's all, and that's it.

I had mentioned the gas block superheating on piston uppers to someone recently offline. Glad to see that was born out with testing. It means the gas port is also being subjected to superheating.
    I agree. It's too small of a sampling to make any accurate judgements. That is interesting on the gas block and gas port though. That had completely slipped by me. I wonder how much the wear rate is increased?
    Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score
    The two biggest areas I see where a piston setup has an edge on a DI system, is heavy sustained full auto fire, and supressed fire.
    Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score
    One note to all this: the authors claimed they were not looking at barrel heat, per se, but a head - to- head test of the gas systems. It would appear that a piston upper does heat up at a much slower rate, as far as the gas system goes, but would the barrel be just as hot as a DGI system?

According to BR vol. II, the barrel must be brought to a temp of at least 1,100 deg F to lose structural integrity. Gov't testing, in the wake of catastrophic barrel failures of M-4A1's in the early 90's, showed that for a barrel to lose structural integrity, where catastrophic failure would occur, between 540 and 596 rds had to be fired, full auto, in 3 to 3 1/2 minutes. This study resulted in the beefed up SOCOM barrel.

So there is something at work here. These guys got off about twice the rounds necessary to blow a std profile M-4 bbl, with a very similar firing schedule. So it would appear that there is a benefit to keeping the hot gas out of the chamber area.

Be interesting to see where this all goes. For the record, I'm not pimping piston uppers. I plan on keeping my DGI systems running for a long time. I just thought this test was interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast