Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tents

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Tents

My entire scouting career, SOP was to place a tarp under your tent (with the edges folded UNDERNEATH the tent so as to not collect water runoff from the tent sides) and another tarp over the tent. If you didn't, you got wet.

Seems to me now, that there should be a tent that doesn't leak. Granted, the only tents I've ever had came from Walmart.

Do they make tents that don't leak or is a Tarp still required? Is there such a thing as a lightweight tarp?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    I think its called a rain fly? most tents have one, and a ground cloth is probably still a good idea.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use a standard tarp under my tent, as you described, to keep the bottom from being damaged while car camping.

I have never used a tarp over it, and have never been wet, my rain fly works great.

For backpacking, a small piece of tyvek works great as a footprint.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=53813

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by run n gun View Post
    I think its called a rain fly? most tents have one, and a ground cloth is probably still a good idea.
    Ha, the "rain fly" that came with my tents were a joke at best. They hook onto the tent and only cover about the top 1/3 of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Seems to me now, that there should be a tent that doesn't leak. Granted, the only tents I've ever had came from Walmart.
    I wouldn't really expect a Wal-Mart tent to have a full rain fly but I wouldn't expect a tent with a full rain fly to be overly expensive.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by run n gun View Post
    I wouldn't really expect a Wal-Mart tent to have a full rain fly but I wouldn't expect a tent with a full rain fly to be overly expensive.
    I think you're right. This looks like the current version of what I have (mine is a different color and probably 6 years old):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-7-...eps-3/13849028

So in searching and reading some, it looks like a guy could get a pretty good Eureka with a full rain fly for about $150?

Feedback Score
    Eureka makes pretty good kit. REI and Campmor usually have pretty good prices too

Feedback Score
    REI is gtg.

I've used Hilleberg tents both in the service and as a civvie (Keron in the service and Akto these days). Most if not all of their tents come with a waterproof floor, but they also sell ground pads if you want to add additional insulation or want to have a floor in the outer tent.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    My cheapo tent is the Coleman you linked to, and have had no leakage issues through quite a few storms while car camping, some with upwards of 40 mph winds. The rain fly on those just covers the mesh windows; the side panels are designed to be exposed to the elements. Seam sealer, silicone spray, and a standard tarp under the tent. Any time I get a new tent, the first thing I do is seam seal and waterproof.

If you want something a bit stronger, check out the Eureka Timberline (aluminum A-frame construction).
    Last edited by sammage; 10-16-12 at 15:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

Feedback Score
    A good footprint protects the bottom of your tent. You could have the best waterproofed, sealed tent in the world, and you would still want to put a footprint under it. I like to use black 3 mil plastic as it's waterproof, cheap, and being black it dries quicker in the sun than other materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast