Thread: Pecos Run and Gun 2012

Feedback Score

Pecos Run and Gun 2012

For those who don't know, the Pecos Run and Gun is a 6+ mile biathlon esque endurance event. There were 6 shooting positions sprinkled in among the course. I took GoPro video of the shooting stages (I left out the running as me grunting, cussing, and eating shit once wouldn't be very exciting video).

Here is the gear and I used:

Rifle is self assembled
    Upper: BCM upper and charging handle, Colt 6920 barrel and BCG, King Armory muzzle break, Troy 13" V-Tac handguard, Larue Scope mount, Burris Tac30, V-Tac sling.

Lower: POF billet, Hogue grip, VLTOR A-5 and stock, Hogan Gold Standard trigger, Gen 1 redi mag.

The rifle is lightweight(ish), reliable, smooth, and accurate. I continue to be impressed with the Burris Tac30. The BDC enabled me to make quick hits on targets out too 400 yards.

Pistol is bone stock G34 with a surefire x200 hanging on it.

Last year I carried extra mags and parts in a camelback back pack. I found that I strongly prefer to have any weight on my belt for this kind of event so I modified my regular belt a bit to add a couple of magazines and other things I had carried in the backpack.

The belt from right to left: Spec ops brand belt, unknown second hand suspenders, a leather man wave, US grunt gear double rifle/pistol mag pouch, Tactical Tailor single mag shingle, a Harris bipod on a Larue QD mount is caribeaned and then stuffed into a ATS dump pouch, Spec Ops medical pouch with a CAV Medical trauma kit and Slick Tourniquet, a Safariland 6280 holster, another Tactical Tailor mag pouch, and finished off with a rapid rod. This is all clamped to my Wilderness Tactical pants belt with some duty keepers.

I carried a spare BCG and CH lubed up and rolled in a plastic bag in a cargo pocket.

And wore a Camelbak 3 liter.

I added the two Tactical Tailor pouches to ensure that I wouldn't run out of ammo, I also carried an empty mag in a cargo pocket to stuff one or two rounds in to help me satisfy the mandatory reloads on a couple of the stages. I had the wave and the rapid rod to counter any potential rifle malfunctions. I was very pleased with this configuration as it put the brunt of the weight on my hips and shoulders instead of hanging off my back. It also allowed me to sling my rifle tightly over my back for the portions where I actually ran instead of walking.

Here are the pics I have courtesy of UofASpyder, guys feel free to add the ones you have.

Me taking off

And my cool trophy for taking second on the long range stage

and the GoPro video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jdZ...ature=youtu.be

This is a one of kind event and totally worth the road trip out there. I'm looking forward to shaving another 30 minutes off my run time and actually being competitive next year.
    “Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 30 times” -Kyle Lamb

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice shooting! That RO on stage 5 sounds a little goofy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc556 View Post
    Nice shooting! That RO on stage 5 sounds a little goofy.
    Thank you sir.

And I think the GoPro distorts voices a little. I swear I don't sound like a twelve year old in person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pecos in Texas? No one told me. I'm here in Midland, sounds like fun.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berd View Post
    Thank you sir.

And I think the GoPro distorts voices a little. I swear I don't sound like a twelve year old in person.
    I was poking fun at myself. That was me starting your time. I was sitting third on that stage until you came along. We should have included you in the group picture. Attachment 13875
    The Pecos Run n Gun is a very fun event.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc556 View Post
    I was poking fun at myself. That was me starting your time. I was sitting third on that stage until you came along. We should have included you in the group picture. Attachment 13875
    The Pecos Run n Gun is a very fun event.
    Ahh I see now, well thanks for Ro'ing.

And yes, the rifle gods were with me on that stage

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What a great event, and thanks for the p[ictures! I grew up out in that part of the world, and miss it dearly.

I'm going to try and convince a buddy to attend with me next year. Do you have a date for 2013 yet?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    No date yet. There will be a website established for one stop shopping on information for next year. It would be very cool if more of these events were held elsewhere. It is a great incentive to stay in shape all year.