Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas DPS SOG team selects Sig Sauer 1911 TACOPs.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Those operators must be REAL special.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed30 View Post
    Those operators must be REAL special.
    I'm not sure what you have against Texas Rangers, but okay.

Regarding the guns, Richard Heinie once commented that he bought three off of Gunbroker and he thought they were/thinks they are pretty decent guns. Saying that's a pretty good endorsement is an understatement. Even Hilton Yam has said for the money, they're pretty good guns. I think his objection was it failed his no mag extraction test. I wouldn't personally know because I've never owned one, nor did I see the testing that I assume TDPS did.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Not a thing against them. Just saying that their superiors must think the world of those guys to stick 'em with those pieces.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Sig 1911

I really like my Sig Scorpion 1911 but it would never be my carry gun. I think any unit that chooses a 1911 as their duty gun is looking for trouble, especially when you consider your options. Someone has their head up their ass.

My Sig is a good gun but it's the one in my collection that gives me any trouble. Granted , malfunctions are few and far between but it's enough to preclude it from being a carry gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    You hope/they should have done rigorous testing on several pistols and chosen the one that performed the best under the test guidelines. People's lives are worth more than a few hundred extra dollars per pistol. If they wanted a 1911, that's fine; just choose one on performance, not for other reasons. Not saying this didn't happen, but if it didn't, it should have.
    Agree 100%.

Feedback Score
    I only have about 800 rounds through my SIG TacOps Traditional model so far, but I have yet to have a malfunction that was a fault of the pistol (had one FTF due to a flipped primer). It's been great so far. It's very accurate and just shoots great.

Would I choose it as a duty gun, probably not when there are so many other options out there that would better fill that roll. But it is a very good pistol for the price if you wanted a 1911.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I'm not sure what you have against Texas Rangers, but okay.

Regarding the guns, Richard Heinie once commented that he bought three off of Gunbroker and he thought they were/thinks they are pretty decent guns. Saying that's a pretty good endorsement is an understatement. Even Hilton Yam has said for the money, they're pretty good guns. I think his objection was it failed his no mag extraction test. I wouldn't personally know because I've never owned one, nor did I see the testing that I assume TDPS did.
    To be honest, it really isn't about SIG's 1911's. I don't want to see a 1911 for LE use. Why? The 1911 (no matter who makes it) should only be used by experienced users. Since most LE are NOT "gun guys" I think this is a mistake.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    To be honest, it really isn't about SIG's 1911's. I don't want to see a 1911 for LE use. Why? The 1911 (no matter who makes it) should only be used by experienced users. Since most LE are NOT "gun guys" I think this is a mistake.
    That and the very real problem of armorer support for 1911s.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    That and the very real problem of armorer support for 1911s.
    I understand what you're both saying, but these guys are SWAT, SOG etc, so the best of what the TDPS/Texas Rangers has to offer. Wouldn't you think they're pretty experienced? For armorer support, I would hope they thought about this prior to adopting the guns. For some reason, I always thought the 1911 was fairly common among Texas Rangers, am I wrong?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I understand what you're both saying, but these guys are SWAT, SOG etc, so the best of what the TDPS/Texas Rangers has to offer. Wouldn't you think they're pretty experienced? For armorer support, I would hope they thought about this prior to adopting the guns. For some reason, I always thought the 1911 was fairly common among Texas Rangers, am I wrong?
    With how to properly maintain and troubleshoot 1911's? No, not really.

I understand that their 1911's are primarily a secondary weapon, but if they are not then do you really want:

A. A cheap 1911 to bet your life on?
    B. A gun that only holds 7-8rds?

C4

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast