Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yukon Men and AR's

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I do think it is a good thing for one reason, because it does show people that AR's are actually used for hunting. Between me and everyone I know that has an AR, we have harvested hundreds of animals. From deer and coyotes to jackrabbits and coons. However, I don't think it is okay to just keep pumping lead into something because you have an underpowered weapon. That's why every hunter that I know has more than one gun in the stable. Can you take down a moose with a .223? Yeah, I'm sure you can with multiple shots. But why try if you could take one well placed shot with a more powerful weapon and drop it in it's tracks?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmnielsen View Post
    I do think it is a good thing for one reason, because it does show people that AR's are actually used for hunting. Between me and everyone I know that has an AR, we have harvested hundreds of animals. From deer and coyotes to jackrabbits and coons. However, I don't think it is okay to just keep pumping lead into something because you have an underpowered weapon. That's why every hunter that I know has more than one gun in the stable. Can you take down a moose with a .223? Yeah, I'm sure you can with multiple shots. But why try if you could take one well placed shot with a more powerful weapon and drop it in it's tracks?
    Nothing wrong with AR's for hunting but use enough caliber. An AR10 type weapon is a better choice for big game.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineteenkilo View Post
    As to the bear that took 5 rounds from a 416. That's not unlikely. It could have probably taken 100 and died not one bit faster. In fact, the first shot in the boiler room was more than enough and the bear would have expired in due course if the shooter had simply been patient. I have seen this more times than I can count. There's a very good reason why you wait to track wounded animals. Not because they may become enraged (like a grizzly), but because you have to let them wound do it's job. Very, very few critters drop immediately and this applies to every species and not just large game.
    They were 5 miles from base camp and walking in soil that would go up to your nuts on every 5th step...waiting was not an option with it running in the wrong direction. The other 4 shots were all hit while it was running 1/4 angle away. The gun does not hold 5 shells either. Mind you this animal missed B&C by less than 1/4" & a true trophy.

If they had a snow machine, I'm sure there would be no reason for a 2nd shot...it's all in the details. Cannot really compare a trophy hunt to this show as I've watched it several times since I posted. Didn't like the episode where the one chap went into the river.

Alaskapopo has made some points which kinda bum me out regarding the spray & pray comments, while others have cleared things up on the earhole method...still, if there is any chance I'm gonna get nose to nose with a brown bear, I want some grains in my projectiles...Not an AR w/ M855
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    I've spent some time up in Alaska---when I was there, lots of bolt and lever-guns 30-30 and 308, etc. But, there were LOTS of Mini 14s and AR types plus 22s that were pretty much used for everything. Oh, and don't forget the old Mosin surplus military rifles...
    Last edited by jyo; 12-21-13 at 01:35.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345