Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: $500 Budget

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Nephrology;1422293]Because you can't afford a 1911 at 500 dollars, and because the other guns you suggested purchasing are many many fold worse than the Glock. Get the M&P if you really don't like the glock, but your ability to shoot it well is 100% on you and not on the shape of the gun's grip.

I already own a 1911, great gun although it tends to short stroke after 500 rounds until it gets a few more drops of oil.

I agree with what you are saying. But I am not in the military or am I a police officer. So I get to choose what I shoot and carry, my weapon is not issued to me. If I were issued a Glock I would make it work.

When I hear about problems with ejection and the rare kaboom and on top of that Glocks fill like a childs lego set in my hand I look at other options.
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-21-12 at 13:01. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Pikey--Stick with pistols that have a proven track record of working reliably and offering good durability when used in large numbers over a reasonable period of time. Given all your stated requirements, the only pistols that truly meet your goals and cost requirements, as you presented them, are the G19/17 and M&P9. Everything else is either more expensive, has limited ammo capacity, or is not well proven over years of demanding duty use.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP, at your price point, you may want to consider used/refurbished police weapons. SIG's, and Glock trade-ins are plentiful and a good entryway into a modern combat handgun as apposed to buying a clone of a lower tier handgun. Although getting a bit on the outdated and heavy side, a stainless S&W 9mm or .40 from the 4000 Series are relative bargains these days with plentiful supplies of magazines and holsters. Steyr pistols, Walther pistols, and even the above mentioned Caracal are all other worthy contenders and superior over a wide range of criteria to the clone you are considering.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't try to reinvent the wheel. That ends up costing way more than whatever you pay up front. Just because you aren't forced to use a gun doesn't mean the cost of outfitting it, feeding it, or maintaining it is not germane to ownership. If you are shooting enough, all of these considerations matter.

You ask a question of people who shoot a ton, have experience with a broad selection of firearms, and depend on their equipment with their lives.

If they try to steer you in one direction while you are heading another, I would call that "a clue".

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Wideners has used Sig 226s and 228s in stock right now for well under your price point. These are surplus police/military issue (in which country I don't know, but some folks on TOS have identified Swiss markings on some) and will probably be older W German or German marked pistols.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=700|1012|1026

Just a suggestion in line with your funds availability.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Check your local dealers for a used Glock Model-19 pistol as most can be found for under $400.00 OTD which leaves you funds for other essentials.

I recently found a 2nd Gen (No finger grooves) Glock Model-19 in excellent condition at a local shop for well under $400.00 which is now my back-up training pistol for classes. They had many other Glock pistols in the same price range as it seems many are trading in lightly used older Glocks for new Gen 4's.

Now is a good time to shop for a used deal.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer15 View Post
    My M&P 9c has been flawless, and fits my hand a lot better than Glocks do.
    I'd recommend the m&p9c too. my two have been accurate, 100% reliable through 1000s of rounds, we'll priced ($400 from PSA and $470 from buds), and easy to conceal.

magazines are cheap and parts are readily available unlike caracal. no ejection problems either, like my Glock 19s.

mags hold 12 rounds, but can accept full sized m&p mags which hold 17
    Last edited by avengd7x; 10-21-12 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    Glock 19 Gen4 + Randy's APEX extractor. (I'll start recommending Gen3s when his Gen3 extractor hits the market.)

M&P 9.

Save a few pennies and pick up a PPQ.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 10-21-12 at 18:58.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These threads with a definitive budget in mind crack me up.
    Let's think about some typical costs associated with being minimally equipped and competent with a handgun:

Ammo: $50.00 to $100.00 per range session. Reloading is cheaper but what is your time worth?

Magazines: $20.00 to $50.00 a pop. You need several. I already have 14 for my PPQs and six for my Shield (current carry guns for me).

Sight Upgrades / Night sights: $50.00 to $150.00.

Miscellaneous Upgrades: There is a lot of stuff available to upgrade guns like the Glock and M&P.

Holster / Belt / Mag Pouch(es): $50 to $250.00

Range Fees / Membership: $20.00 to $50.00 per month.

Training? Tough call. Depends on where you live and what you are able to get to / pay for. Could also depend if you have a friend or relative that is extremely competent and able to help you.

I can understand and appreciate a budget, but, I would go shoot everything that you think might work for you and then decide, versus drawing a line at $500.00. You have to weigh the whole picture. It makes the initial purchase price seem less important.

Feedback Score
    Pikey,

If your current needs for self/home defense are met then why rush to buy a pistol you may not be happy with? Why not wait a couple of more months and save a little more cash to give yourself more options?

Many people here recomend the Glock 19 because it is a "do it all" pistol, so to speak, and what I usually recommend first when people ask me what they should get. But if you don't like Glocks that's fine too. You have plenty of options out there. The important thing is that you buy a quality firearm with a proven track record from a big name manufacturer like Sig, S&W, Baretta, Glock or Springfield. Since you don't like the Glock I agree with the others that have suggested the M&P. If that doesn't do it for you I would suggest the Baretta 92fs or variant there of as they are not that far from your budget. When my LGS does one of their gun show sales they have the 92's for $529.99 plus tax/fees.

In the end my advice is just save a little more scratch to give yourself more options.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast