Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Kel-Tec KSG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    That is sort of like asking who really "needs" a 30 round magazine.

Who will "need" more than 4rds? 6? 8? What is the average length of a gun fight where a shotgun is used? What is the appropriate magazine capacity for a shotgun?

On the range, in classes or competition shooting, what is the correct number?

The point is:

1) No defensive weapon should be difficult to reload.

2) No defensive weapon should be difficult to clear should it malfunction.

Are their any real world reports on how this thing has been running in shotgun classes?

I very much want the KSG to be a winner but when I look at people who have run them I do not like what I see. Maybe there is a good manual of arms for the KSG it is just that no one has come up with it yet.

I have had mine and seen 2 others in classes they have done very well in class been accurate and durable and reliable minus a few hiccups with Winchester wal mart bulk ammo low brass

Vang comp is now doing barrels for them as we'll
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I have had mine and seen 2 others in classes they have done very well in class been accurate and durable and reliable minus a few hiccups with Winchester wal mart bulk ammo low brass

Vang comp is now doing barrels for them as we'll
    Cool, but questions:

What was the course of fire? Most shotgunners are taught to be loading if nothing else is going on. Did the KSG offer any real advantage from it's magazine capacity?

How did they manage reloading the KSG? My chief complaint is it does not seem easy to load. Every video I have seen shows the gunner stopping, flipping the piece over, and reloading as an admin function. Has some smart guy figured out a good manual of arms for the KSG?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For the good of the cause, here are a couple of video where it looks like folks are trying to work thru the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__tYhNaGTg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuSime9eUpU

I would still like to see this trick performed without having to look at the gun. I walk and reload a standard shotgun without looking at it. I would like to be able to do this with the KSG.

Feedback Score
    having a 590a1 or can see an 870 the simplicity to be able to reload on the fly is the more practical. don't know if was me or the speed to stay in a fight? not sitting well in my gut to just put another couple of rounds on target. hd? or offencive roll, per haps wrong gun to bring to resolve problem at hand?

Feedback Score
    It's too bad to hear about the durability/reliability issues with this shotgun. I really wanted to like it and hoped it would be reliable and durable enough. As was already said, the concept is awesome, this shotgun gives you 14+1 rounds in a weapon more compact than a 14 inch SBS which would have probably 1/3 the ammo capacity, and require a $200 tax stamp, and to top it off, the KSG is ambidextrous too. Maybe the reliability issues will be improved in later batches, too bad Kel-tech couldn't sell the design to a company like Remington, who could afford to build large quantities of these shotguns and workout the reliability issues too...
    Last edited by chairforce26; 05-15-13 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chairforce26 View Post
    It's too bad to hear about the durability/reliability issues with this shotgun. I really wanted to like it and hoped it would be reliable and durable enough. As was already said, the concept is awesome, this shotgun gives you 14+1 rounds in a weapon more compact than a 14 inch SBS which would have probably 1/3 the ammo capacity, and require a $200 tax stamp, and to top it off, the KSG is ambidextrous too. Maybe the reliability issues will be improved in later batches, too bad Kel-tech couldn't sell the design to a company like Remington, who could afford to build large quantities of these shotguns and workout the reliability issues too...
    I don't think Remington would be the company to make this concept work, judging from some shining recent examples of their lackluster QC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chairforce26 View Post
    Read above, imo the "issue" with this gun as a defensive tool is that it's too difficult to do the things that should be easy to do with a shotgun (load single rounds, swap ammo types, easy and full access to clear malfunctions).

No amount of reliability improvement would ever cause me to accept this as a non-range toy. Just my opinion but Keltec really missed the boat here, they had at least a year to move these unconditionally without people even considering if it was a good purchase. The pulled a keltec and now I think people are catching on a little (considering they can be had for well under previous gouging rates now).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456