Thread: Defective Surefire X300?

Feedback Score

Defective Surefire X300?

Hi Guys,

I just received 2 X300s from opticsplanet (one for myself, and one for a friend), and when giving him his, we put the lights up on the wall, and his was very white/blue, and mine was almost green/yellow.

I know the new ultra is supposed to be more green/yellow, but I am used to the Streamlight blue/white, and from all accounts, the X300 was supposed to be in this color range. I am just looking for an opinion so I can determine if I need to exchange it for another one, as I will only be in the return period for a couple more weeks.

I wasn't able to get a pic of the two X300s together (although, I may be able to when my friend comes over), but I took a pic of my Streamlight pro-tac and x300, to show the difference in light color. Depending on your monitor you may not see the green-yellow.

Please let me know what I should do.

Thanks,
    Matt

Last edited by dsg2003gt; 10-21-12 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    Are they both newer lights? I know that before the "ultra" Surefire stepped up the lumens once before on the X300's.
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Surefire should be more true. Color identification can be a serious issue and Surefire should be more natural compared to Streamlight, which will have a cooler hue.

Put an incandescent next to it and it won't look nearly as yellow...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The Surefire should be more true. Color identification can be a serious issue and Surefire should be more natural compared to Streamlight, which will have a cooler hue.

Put an incandescent next to it and it won't look nearly as yellow...
    Gotcha. I would agree that it is. We could see more the details in the wall more easily with the SF. The streamlights are very blue/white.

Both lights are fairly new with new batteries, btw.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What did Surefire say when you called them? I have had very good service from their customer service people. They have usually walked into the factory and grabbed whatever device we were discussing, and answered my question right away.

All of my X300's are the older models, or I would try a color match for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    What did Surefire say when you called them? I have had very good service from their customer service people. They have usually walked into the factory and grabbed whatever device we were discussing, and answered my question right away.

All of my X300's are the older models, or I would try a color match for you.
    No call to SF, this is more of a question to the users are to their experience with the color range and if it was normal. If most people are fine/living with it, it is fine.

The yellow-green color might actually better at helping the eye see detail.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sounds like you just got a less-blue, less-cool white bin on the LED. I have an Olight like that. Compared to my other lights, it is cat-pee green, but in realworld usage it is perfectly fine. It does give slightly truer color rendition too, but that is a minor consideration for my usage. Just don't white-wall hunt and you will likely not notice the tint.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm