Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11-87 Breaking In**UPDATE III: Now Working w/Win. AA**

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

11-87 Breaking In**UPDATE III: Now Working w/Win. AA**

Finally got the new Rem. 11-87 out to the range over the weekend.

To put in context, this is only my second ever shotgun -- and my very first semi-auto -- being preceded during the past 4 years solely by a Rem. 870 pump. I've been wanting something gas-operated to take the slam off my now 50-year-old shoulder, and also with interchangeable chokes (the 870 is a fixed IC) to let me tailor patterning to meet the demands of my local 3-gun matches.

Well the 11-87 felt good in handling, patterned better than the 870, and functioned flawlessly with everything on the heavy side: 9-ball double-ought buck, 1-5/8 oz. #6 turkey loads, and 1 oz. slugs. It would not, however, cycle with anything lighter. In my case this was #7.5 in 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz. field loads -- not really "light" by my thinking but more mid-weight. So, I felt some dismay.

Got home to call the person who sold me the gun from one of our local dealers. He said I need to shoot some more of the heavy loads (I had shot a couple dozen rounds so far) to get the action to "loosen up" before it would cycle anything lighter.

I've known this individual for some time and believe him to be knowledgable and honest. Still am wondering though, and this being my first semi-auto I don't have any prior experience to provide a perspective. I know the SA guns as a group have "issues" that the pumps are free of, but I'm still surprized this 11-87 won't yet handle oz.+ field loads.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You've encountered what, in my experience, has always been the potential shortcoming of semi-auto shotguns; limited ammo selection.

Your "friend", may be right, and it will probably loosen up a bit with more of the full-house loads as moving parts seat into their various channels and springs and such get an initial workout, but I wouldn't expect to get too huge of a change.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My two 11-87's didn't need it, and run very well on stuff as low as 1oz #8 skeet loads.

That being said, I have seen some that refuse to run with that light a load.

You could possibly take a stab at disassembling it, lubing it up, and replacing the gas seal ring for about $5.

It worked on my friend's 1100...FWIW.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Your "friend", may be right, and it will probably loosen up a bit with more of the full-house loads as moving parts seat into their various channels and springs and such get an initial workout, but I wouldn't expect to get too huge of a change.
    That's been my experience. Some will be close enough to threshold that they can be worn-in a bit and work better. Gas scatterguns are hit and miss.

Blackscot- There are a number of folks that can tweak your gas system to work with the light stuff. I believe we discussed the mods and vendors in another thread here about a year ago.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks guys -- I'd have not bought this gun if I thought it was going to be limited entirely to heavy loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    ......I believe we discussed the mods and vendors in another thread here about a year ago.
    Search thingie gave me this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=11-87

Shall peruse over lunch today.

ETA - just finished the earlier thread. Looks like it's a 50/50 luck-of-the-draw kind of thing. Sure hope I can get mine straightened out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my experience, running a couple hundred rounds of full power ammo through it will help with break in.

It hasn't proven necessary on my 11-87P, but several shooters have told me that they run two rubber O-rings in order to get their 11-87's to cycle with lighter loads.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by carshooter View Post
    .....several shooters have told me that they run two rubber O-rings in order to get their 11-87's to cycle with lighter loads.
    I think I saw an off-hand reference to that on the earlier thread.

Another O-ring thought: this gun is new, but it sat in the store unsold for 5 years. Could the O-ring be just old from that? Stiff, stretched, whatever?

At any rate, I'm definately going to get some replacement O-rings ASAP and try that route next.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The O-ring could absolutely be degraded. I had a Benelli M3 that sat in the store where I worked for years, and I got it for below cost because of it. When I got it home and took it apart there were a couple (IIRC, this has been nearly 10 years ago) of o-rings in the action that needed replaced.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The O-ring could absolutely be degraded.....
    Just called the local custom tactical shop up the road -- they've got some in stock. Headed up there right now.....

Feedback Score
    The O-ring could absolutely be degraded. I had a Benelli M3 that sat in the store where I worked for years, and I got it for below cost because of it. When I got it home and took it apart there were a couple (IIRC, this has been nearly 10 years ago) of o-rings in the action that needed replaced.
    I bought an 11-87 that sat idle about 10 years as well. I cleaned it up without breaking it down and took it to the range a few months ago, shooting some Federal low recoil slugs and some Wolf 00. The gun was accurate with both but damn did that Wolf ammo buck like hell! I thought "Man I'm out of shape", but after totally disassembling and cleaning the thing afterwards, I found the O ring was pretty degraded. I replaced it and shot it again and man what a difference!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast