Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11-87 Breaking In**UPDATE III: Now Working w/Win. AA**

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Blackscot,
    I would contact Benny Hill at http://www.triangleshootingsports.com/ or John Paul at www.jprifles.com to see what each recommends. For shooting 3dram and under 'light' or low brass shotgun shells many times the gas ports need to be made larger on Remington autos.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Blackscot,
    I would contact Benny Hill at http://www.triangleshootingsports.com/ or John Paul at www.jprifles.com to see what each recommends. For shooting 3dram and under 'light' or low brass shotgun shells many times the gas ports need to be made larger on Remington autos.
    Hmm.....seems I could do that easily enough, if I knew the right hole size.

I'll see if they'll dispense some free advice -- thanks.

Feedback Score
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Interesting on-topic read.....
    That is spot-on -- thanks!

My barrel has only 2 gas ports. From the thread, it sounds sure enough like a heavy-load only barrel.

I asked specifically about the compensated/noncompensated thing before I bought the gun, and was told it was designed to handle a wide range of loads.

I'm really having some doubts on my decision now.....need to follow-up on gotm4's steer, along with the local smith who will put a choke in my 870.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here's what the gas ports look like, diameter 0.082". There's just the two you see, and no spring with a second pair of ports underneath to bleed off the extra pressure of heavy loads.

Some googling yesterday produced more chat-board threads than I could read about problems with 11-87's not cycling.

Threading the 870 is also now out: the guy says he would probably need to shorten the barrel to get adequate wall thickness, which in my case would end up loosing the front rifle sight.

I'll hang tight until after putting several dozen turkey loads through the gun at the match in 1-1/2 weeks, then see whether it will take field loads and decide further action accordingly.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well, this appears to confirm my situation (mine is a 21-inch "special purpose") and may finally lay the matter to rest.

http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...i=&p_topview=1

If true, then the gun is performing exactly as it was designed to and I likely cannot expect much change.

This gun is something other than I thought it was at the time I bought it. Likewise, the person I bought it from apparently didn't know as much about it as I thought he did.

I'm rather bummed.....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sorry to hear about that....if I were still working behind a counter I would have told you to buy the Winchester version of the Gold.

Anyway to sell the thing and start over?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Sorry to hear about that....if I were still working behind a counter I would have told you to buy the Winchester version of the Gold.

Anyway to sell the thing and start over?
    I appreciate that, my good friend. Your knowledge and sound judgement are truly missed.

And good question. The one thing I have definitely received from all this is an edjamucation. I now feel I have a reasonably firm knowledge of the Remington shotgun design and variations, which have their limitations.

To wit: I could have got a gun with the pressure-compensated barrel (and can still swap-out for) that will handle both the light and heavy loads, but these aren't available in every conceivable configuration. Other than the compensation feature, they generally are set-up for light-load sports (skeet, small game, etc.), being longer and with vent ribs, and lacking the rifle sights I definitely need for accurate slug shots in 3-gun. I could get a smith to customize a barrel for me, but cost is already $200-$250 for just the barrel, and I don't want this to become a drawn-out money pit.

That being the case, what I ended up with may by-luck be about the closest to the mark needed for 3-gun, within the range of options Remington provides. This gun will definitely do the job on the steel, albeit somewhat overkill with the heavy loads that it is limited to -- and which are expensive ! ! ! The next match is now just a little over a week away, so I'll be taking it then at least, along with a small mint of ammo.

Beyond that I'm not sure. I still wince at the Winchester price tags. I understand that FN and Browning make essentially equivalent models? I'll definitely be checking into whatever options are out there.
    ETA:

Winchester SX2 Practical Mk II ~$1,100

FN SLP Mk I ~$900

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Randy I've never opened up the ports on a Remington myself. A good friend of mine (who's a member here and a Remington armorer) with a lot of experience with Remington shotguns had this list of gas port sizes for 1100s-11-87s. It's a chart on port sizes of the Remington gas guns. Since you said yours measures .0820" (this is the same as the 21" Special Purpose deer) it seems that the ports are small because it's made to work with full power slugs and buckshot. It appears that if you open them up to the next size up .1160" (same as the 26" Field, it would likely work), maybe even a tad bigger than .1160" since your barrel is shorter than the 26" Field. If you do open the ports up shooting heavy full power buckshot and slub loads will be harder on the gun.

I'd still check with Benny Hill or John Paul before modifying.

Last edited by Robb Jensen; 02-15-08 at 05:09.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks Robb. That's an option, but clearly with some risks. I would definitely want to talk to someone experienced before drilling anything. Could end up turning it into a rifle-sighted skeet-only gun.

I'll go ahead and try it as-is at the next match, and then see where my thoughts lay.

Might also start looking around for who carries that Winchester. Does VA Arms?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast