Thread: ACOGs in Urban Enviroments

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ACOGs in Urban Enviroments

Using magnified optics of any kind on a rifle is new to me. When I was active we were just happy to be trading up our PVS-5s for 7s. We had the manuals for the M4s but didn't start getting them until I was ETSing..... In other words I'm used to plain old irons and the Eotechs we have at work and need some updated info....

For those of you who have been using the TA-33R8 (or any other) with a light or on a Patrol Rifle or other weapon used in urban enviroments....

1> Does the white light wash out the reticle?

2> At what ranges does the ACOG really slow you down? I would guess 7-25yds but would like to hear some first hand experience.

3> Does the ACOG really slow you down at all from 25 yds +?

4> Does the incresed Target ID benefit outweigh the slower CQB speeds?

Once again I'm looking for responses from anyone with experience using ACOGs in an urban enviroment. I'm currently using an Eotech but thinking about getting a 3x optic for use on a patrol rifle, not a door kicking CQB/SWAT gun. Uses would be Active Shooter response, perimeter work, Felony Traffic stops, etc where you have the time to get it out of your trunk and distance is your friend. Sand Box experiences would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Choices

you can add a 3x or 4x unit to your current eotech--cost efective.

I run a compact 1.5 and 2.5 acog

I found out in low light to no light with a whilte light and or led i can make out the reticle but it isnt bright....

I have also added small glowsticks with tape to the tube on my acogs and it worked great.

also during light faliure drills i found that a handheld light in the neck index postion lighted both the target and the tube to light the fiber optic

most shooter i saw with acogs were slower on hits inside 25 yards with any unit or 2.5x

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Experience on TA-31F.

Quote Originally Posted by SapperRob View Post
    1> Does the white light wash out the reticle?
    Yes. As does shooting from dark to light areas, as in inside buildings to outside during daylight.

2> At what ranges does the ACOG really slow you down?
    Begins at under 50 yards, depending on training level and illumination levels. 25 to 50 can be about the same as irons, but not as fast as 1x. Unfamiliar shooters tend to get "sucked-in" to the sight, trying to clean up the sight picture too much before the shot(s). More experienced users can ignore the magnification (to a degree) and shoot the "red dot".

3> Does the ACOG really slow you down at all from 25 yds +?
    Depending on training level, as above from 25 to 50. Past 50, in daylight, they empirically increase hits, but not necessarily speed, until about 100, at which both increase with even inexperienced users.

4> Does the incresed Target ID benefit outweigh the slower CQB speeds?
    Depends on your priority. Half of the CQB issue is with presentation speed, the other half with light issues.

In the circumstance you outlined as a traffic cop, it probably would outweigh. With time and distance on your side it would be hard for me (no experience in your field) to determine one way or the other. However, I assume that you will be in situations where headlights are facing you when you will not have overhead illumination. In these situations I would personally prefer a powered red-dot with magnification available, such as with adding a 3x to your existing optic.

The ACOG 3/4x series are some of the best 50 to 300 daylight non-electric optics available in their price range. The issues arise in transitional lighting and shooter experience.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com