Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to remove KAC flash hider without a reciever vice block

Feedback Score

Best way to remove KAC flash hider without a reciever vice block

I have a EMC, I need to remove the flash hider so I can install my Brakeout to use my -6. My problem is my barrel clamps are to big to sit on the barrel, and I do not have a set of upper reciever blocks, nor do I plan on buying a set for one job.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by mstennes; 10-25-12 at 15:41.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Measure the outside diameter of the barrel. Drill a hole of that size into a 2x4. Saw it in half so there's a "half moon" hole in each side. Clamp the barrel in that. Easey peasey.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaman225 View Post
    Measure the outside diameter of the barrel. Drill a hole of that size into a 2x4. Saw it in half so there's a "half moon" hole in each side. Clamp the barrel in that. Easey peasey.
    Even though the gas block is going to be the part being gripped? There is no room from the rail to the gas block, than barely enough to the flash hider to get a 3/4 wrench on.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Provided the gasblock is pinned, that should not be an issue to clamp there. Revised suggestion, use leather or wood to clamp the gas block and twist away.
    Just looked at a photo of an EMC, I forgot how little barrel was exposed.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Just looked around and it would appear that EMCs have pinned gas blocks. Just clamp on the gas block and you'll be fine. I've made FSB clamps out of wood for the exact reason we're talking right now pic rail/FSB/10.5 barrel...

BTW, NEVER use upper receiver blocks to remove/install muzzle devices.
    Last edited by bleaman225; 10-25-12 at 22:08. Reason: spuhelling

Feedback Score
    Just looked around and it would appear that EMCs have pinned gas blocks. Just clamp on the gas block and you'll be fine. I've made FSB clamps out of wood for the exact reason we're talking right now pic rail/FSB/10.5 barrel...

BTW, NEVER use upper receiver blocks to remove/install muzzle devices.
    All right then, thats good to know, so wood first, get resonably close to fit, verse leather correct? Now you see my issue, no dang room

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Yeah I see what you were saying about the lack of room.

Either leather or wood will work. You just want it secure so it doesn't move and you will also want it protected from the vice jaws. If you have a piece of leather laying around, it will be a much quicker set up as opposed to modifying a block of wood to work. Whatever is easiest for you.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I see what you were saying about the lack of room.

Either leather or wood will work. You just want it secure so it doesn't move and you will also want it protected from the vice jaws. If you have a piece of leather laying around, it will be a much quicker set up as opposed to modifying a block of wood to work. Whatever is easiest for you.
    I never liked the idea of using the upper in a vice, guess I had a brain shut down as to why I didnt thing of the block of wood or leather strap? I do have a few old tennis shoes that could be donated to a worthy cause, not sure if that would be better due to the shape of the gas block?

Feedback Score
    I recall KevinB from KAC stating they use a fixture that clamps to the gas block, so you should be gtg that way.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lifebreath View Post
    I recall KevinB from KAC stating they use a fixture that clamps to the gas block, so you should be gtg that way.
    Well I got it! I ended up cutting a old tennis shoe up, and taking the strip of leather, wrapping the gas block, than putting it in my vice, I just applied slow steady pressure and it popped off, now I have my AAC muzzle brake on it so I can use my -6, I just wish AAC had used their Breakout instead, but I digress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast