Thread: .22 conversion

Feedback Score

.22 conversion

hey guys, I'm cheap and to get more practice in I'm looking at .22 conversions. which ones are good? should i just get a dedicated .22 upper? whats my best bet while keeping mind I'm doing this to save money so I dont want to spend a ton. It's just to practice using my AR with so it doesn't have to be pin-point accurate. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I have an old Ciener .22 conversion and my brother in law has an early CMMG stainless. I have over 10K through mine and he has 5K or so in his. Early on we both broke firing pins from dry firing which is a no-no.

Based on reviews of other's experiences I'd never buy another Ciener product but CMMG was perfect in helping with the broken firing pin and a new extractor from an out of battery firing.

New CMMG versions fix a lot of issues the originals had like weak extraction of unfired rounds and you can get a version that activates the AR's bolt hold open like .223 magazines does.

The best accuracy I've gotten from them has been 4-6 MOA using bulk Federal ammo in 1/9 barrels. I haven't spent enough time with higher quality ammo to tell you if it can do better. I've shot a number of Appleseeds and have no problem shooting a Rifleman score with .223 ammo but the lesser accuracy of the conversions makes that pretty hard to do.

For "tactical" practice the conversion kit is fine but if you're looking for a nail driver then you should get a dedicated .22 upper.

Feedback Score
    thanks, i guess il see what the price difference is then

Feedback Score
    I was looking at a 22 bolt conversion lately but I'm hesitant because I don't see how can the accuracy be decent with the twist rate being double what it should be?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    CMMG is the way to go theses days. I have two dedicated Uppers. One is a CMMG it rocks. Both have CMMG bolt carrier groups.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 10-26-12 at 17:58.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get a CMMG upper and the TACCOM firing pin.

http://www.taccom3g.com/ENHANCED_22RF_FIRING_PIN.html

Those are going to solve a lot of issues with lite strikes and breaking firing pins.
    Last edited by Zach; 10-27-12 at 00:24.
    אני לדודי ודודי לי

NRA Life Member