Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YHM SS Phantom

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

YHM SS Phantom

Last week I picked up my YHM SS Phantom. I mounted this suppressor onto my SBR (10.5" LMT upper on a self-assembled RRA lower):

On Saturday, I managed to conduct a short preliminary test. I started out with two main goals. The first is to determine if there is a shift in POI with this can. I first zeroed the SBR and then set out to shoot 3 rounds at a 50-yard target. As best as I can tell, there was no noticeable shift. Here is a picture of the target and my best mapping:

I did my test over the weekend and so far I'm liking mine. I used a portable Sound Meter. But the numbers don't really tell the whole story because it also records the bullet's sonic boom.

The way I set up the test is I placed the Sound Meter at four different distances record the shots. Here is the layout and readings:

At first I wasn't too impressed with the results. I could not figure out just why the numbers between the suppressed and unsuppressed were so close, especially the farther away. Then I decided to do a sound test at 5 and then 50-yards. I tried to reduce the size of these files but was unsuccessful. So I apologize for the length and the bandwidth they will use up.

5-yard test: http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...rdCompare1.flv

50-yard test: http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...50-yardPOV.flv

I did not realize it at the time, but the noise reduction it provided was amazing. The next day I let a friend shoot this setup at his neighbor's farm. I had absolutely no problem standing about 6-feet from the shooter at 7 o'clock and at 3 o'clock without any hearing protection!!

This can is very solidly built and easily mounts onto the provided FH. I am planning on purchasing another QD FH for my 16-inch CAR-15. This is one of the downsides, additional QD FHs cost $75 each!! I also noticed that the suppressor 'wiggled' when mounted. Basically, it rotated a tiny bit because the pawl that locks it in place also did so.

The other downside is the weight; maybe I'm a wimp but the can does have some heft to it. At 1.5-pounds you can really feel that weight on the end of your rifle. This is something I will need to get used to.

I also tested this with a .22 conversion kit and was able to shoot without any hearing protection indoors. The sound of the bullet hitting the bullet trap was louder than the gunshot itself. This was also true when we were shooting at a creek that was over 100-yards away. The splash was a lot louder!!

As someone who has never shot anything larger than a 9mm with a suppressor, I was surprised by just how much gas bets blown back onto the shooter even with a PRI "Gas Buster" charging handle.

Again, this is just my initial analysis. I plan doing some more testing and analysis. The next one will be a more extensive test of any POI shifts
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Good info, thanks. Make sure you update this when your done. I just paid for one of these, my dealer had one in stock. Now the waiting on the ATF begins.
    NFA Addict - Banned on Arfkom!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow! Great review Carlos! I just ordered my LMT 10.5" upper from Grant, and I want my next NFA purchase to be a Phantom suppressor. I'm glad to see it's working well for you. The FH doesn't really seem too much more than other top FH. Did you install the FH yourself as I read that unless a qualified smith installed it, it would void the warranty? What kind of .22 conversion and ammo did you use? And did it cycle reliably? Thanks for the info!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post

I did my test over the weekend and so far I'm liking mine. I used a portable Sound Meter. But the numbers don't really tell the whole story because it also records the bullet's sonic boom...

At first I wasn't too impressed with the results. I could not figure out just why the numbers between the suppressed and unsuppressed were so close, especially the farther away. Then I decided to do a sound test at 5 and then 50-yards. I tried to reduce the size of these files but was unsuccessful. So I apologize for the length and the bandwidth they will use up.
    The reason the numbers look suspect is because you are using the wrong kind of sound meter. An Unsuppressed .22lr should be about 155db.

Feedback Score
    Maybe you should run the sound meter out to the sides of your shooting position instead of along the bullet's path. This would reduce the effect of the bullet's supersonic "crack" from your readings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tkoglman View Post
    Maybe you should run the sound meter out to the sides of your shooting position instead of along the bullet's path. This would reduce the effect of the bullet's supersonic "crack" from your readings.
    If his meter is reading 117db its not picking the entire gunshot (or even super sonic flight noise in its entirety). He could place the meter anywhere he wanted and it would still produce erroneous readings.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's why I took the videos. It is very apparent that suppressed rifle does not produce as much of a report as when it is unsuppressed.

As far as using the "wrong kind of sound meter", it's all I have access to (it actually belongs to the Gun Club).
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    oops, never mind.
    Last edited by ron556; 02-18-08 at 08:46. Reason: mistake

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good thread!

I would like to see you fire more rounds per group though. I used 10 shots when I did my two-phase Ops 15th test as I thought it gave me a better feel for fliers and actual group centers. If you look at the pics on page two (magnified optic with bipod) you can really see how the fliers stand out, especially in the Black Hills ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Good thread!

I would like to see you fire more rounds per group though...
    This is what I am planning on doing once I have the time. I plan on shooting multiple groups at least at 50-yards to get a better idea if there are any POI shifts. But I gotta work on my marksmanship first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast