Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing Water

Feedback Score

Storing Water

If you purchase bottled water what is the shelf life? Does the use by date carry much importance? Thanks for the help.
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington

"Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I believe bottled water to be good indefinatly if stored in proper conditions including keeping it out of the light, in a normal room temperature range, away from pests and gasoline or other types of harmful vapors that can permeate it.

I'm sure somebody will have some more techinical data but in a nutshell if you store it correctly bottled water shouldn't "expire".

Feedback Score
    biggest problem usually found with bottled water is the possibility of chemicals leeching if left in the sun or similar. that plasticky taste shouldnt exist. other will complain that it tastes stale but that can be remedied by pouring back and forth between a couple cups to aerate(sp) the water to bring back some flavor. same method can be used for water treated with bleach as it will allow the bleach to evaporate. there really isnt anything in water that can go bad if stored properly and basic precautions are taken.

i store water in reused 2L soda bottles, 5G bottles for more on the go stuff and 300G tanks. ive personally drank untreated tap water - no extra treatment- that was 2 years old. it tasted stale but no ill effects. tried the cup aeration trick and it helped but not 100%, id say 75% though. still a hint of stale but still better than nothing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I use food grade BPA free seven gallon water containers which are sold at Wal-Mart. I change out the water every six months and have never had a problem. Other then the initial cost to purchase the containers ($9.96 each) they pay for them selfs after a few short years when compared to bottled water. The fifteen containers we have served us well with no problems to report.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 10-28-11 at 00:59.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I use food grade BPA free seven gallon water containers which are sold at Wal-Mart. I change out the water ever six months and have never had a problem. Other then the initial cost to purchase the containers ($9.96 each) they pay for them selfs after a few short years when compared to bottled water. The fifteen containers we have served us well with no problems to report.
    Not knocking your method, if it works for you that's great and it sounds like the optimal way to store tap water, but your comment about the containers paying for themselves sent me into number crunching mode. If somebody was on a tight budget and/or doesn't want to deal with rotating tap water stock it is cheaper to go the bottled water route and while I personally don't see any reason to rotate the bottled water if stored correctly I believe it to be a great alternative if cost is an issue.

You can get gallon jugs of water for less then a dollar so for the 105 gallons of tap water you have stored for $150(plus tax?) a person could have 150-175 gallons of bottled water for the same $150.

In the end we all have to decide what we are comfortable with and what works best for us, it's always nice to have choices

Feedback Score
    if buying gallons of bottled water, stay clear of the milk jug type bottles. the crinkled looking ones. some have had good luck but i have had a few spring a random leak. they arent as strong. they do have the stronger thicker plastic jugs that are the same shape and they hold up better. ymmv.

repurposing 2L soda bottles or 1/2G and 1G juice bottles work well for storage.

also keep in mind that you not only need potable water for drinking and cooking but for sanitation and cleaning as well, like filling the tank of the toilet to get it to flush.

also, if you dont store much water but have some warning like in the event of a severe storm headed your way, look into a WaterBob. its kind of a use once type of thing as i imagine drying and cleaning after use would be a pain. anyway, its a bladder that fits in a standard tub to hold potable water. should cost around $20.
    Last edited by broylz; 10-28-11 at 01:00.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatnw View Post
    Not knocking your method, if it works for you that's great and it sounds like the optimal way to store tap water, but your comment about the containers paying for themselves sent me into number crunching mode. If somebody was on a tight budget and/or doesn't want to deal with rotating tap water stock it is cheaper to go the bottled water route and while I personally don't see any reason to rotate the bottled water if stored correctly I believe it to be a great alternative if cost is an issue.

You can get gallon jugs of water for less then a dollar so for the 105 gallons of tap water you have stored for $150(plus tax?) a person could have 150-175 gallons of bottled water for the same $150.

In the end we all have to decide what we are comfortable with and what works best for us, it's always nice to have choices
    True,

But when you look at storage and container durability its hard to beat the dedicated water storage containers. I just like the piece of mind knowing I have semi fresh water (6 months old) in the stores which I can rotate without cost at any time.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    True,

But when you look at storage and container durability its hard to beat the dedicated water storage containers. I just like the piece of mind knowing I have semi fresh water (6 months old) in the stores which I can rotate without cost at any time.
    Good points in favor of that method. I do use the heavier duty gallon jugs so I'm not to concerned in that respect but it's very possible I'll be dreaming about 6 month old water if the time does come that I have to use my supply

Feedback Score
    Ok, so I thought that as long as the bottled store purchased water was kept in a cool place out of the sun it would be ok, I am glad that I was correct. Phila PD I would like to go the 7 gallon drum route, but I do not currently have room for the storage hence the bottle route.

How much space do your containers take up? Thanks.
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington

"Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye0311 View Post
    Ok, so I thought that as long as the bottled store purchased water was kept in a cool place out of the sun it would be ok, I am glad that I was correct. Phila PD I would like to go the 7 gallon drum route, but I do not currently have room for the storage hence the bottle route.

How much space do your containers take up? Thanks.
    I would say as a minimum one 7 gallon container per person should last one week barring very hot temperatures.

Aqua Tainer container measures,
    Length 11.25in
    Width 11.50in
    Height 15.25
    Weight 2.0 pounds

Weight fully filled 60.45 pounds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast