Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy inbound

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    HMS Bounty sinking off Hatteras.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20124128

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Here in SE VA it's been pretty tame. Some localized flooding (obviously sucks for those folks) and high tides, but overall relatively mild wind (20-40mph gusts) and rain around 4-6 inches. Lots of folks were buying stuff up on Fri & Sat.

I think it helped that the forecast kept pushing back the worst of the storm, from Sat night to eventually early Mon morning. Gave people time to button up and get their supplies.

Where I am, it's just a blustery cold rain. Same as growing up in SoCal.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Here in Richmond, it's been very mild. Rain has been minimal. Hopefully the flooding will subside down there. The winds are supposed to start pushing the tides back out as the storm continues to come inland up north.

They are really going to get it bad. They have two storms + a near full moon high tide.

ETA: News just reported Atlantic City is flooded and damage expected worse than large storm in 1960's. Sandy is still 200 miles away.
    Last edited by tb-av; 10-29-12 at 10:20.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My wind meter up on the roof shows a north / northwest wind at a sustained 30mph with gusts to 53mph at 11:30am EST.

Sandy's eye is still hundred of miles away and will not turn tropical until its passing Philadelphia.

She is getting stronger with Central pressure dropping and wings to 95+ pllus and is being fed by a incoming front full of energy so additional growth is expected.

None of the buildings in my area were ever expected to have to deal with such weather wind conditions so I wonder about all those particle board constructed houses and how they are going to hold up.

Plus this morning I had a elderly (84yrs) neighbor call saying her family cant come and pick her up because they don't want to drive through the rain from Pittsburgh and she has almost no food and is very scared. While I will not provide for those that were fools and ignored the looming event I do feel for children and the elderly so we will be having a guest for the next day or two.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    My wind meter up on the roof shows a north / northwest wind at a sustained 30mph with gusts to 53mph at 11:30am EST.

Sandy's eye is still hundred of miles away and will not turn tropical until its passing Philadelphia.

She is getting stronger with Central pressure dropping and wings to 95+ pllus and is being fed by a incoming front full of energy so additional growth is expected.

None of the buildings in my area were ever expected to have to deal with such weather wind conditions so I wonder about all those particle board constructed houses and how they are going to hold up.

Plus this morning I had a elderly (84yrs) neighbor call saying her family cant come and pick her up because they don't want to drive through the rain from Pittsburgh and she has almost no food and is very scared. While I will not provide for those that were fools and ignored the looming event I do feel for children and the elderly so we will be having a guest for the next day or two.
    Good on ya' Philly - boy did she get the RIGHT family to ride out the storm! Good luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hurricane Sandy May Score a Direct Hit On Spent Fuel Pools at Nuclear Plant

Guys keep this in mind as things progress. Not trying to be an alarmist - but better you're aware if power and comms is out.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/...ear-plant.html

We noted Friday that more than a dozen nuclear plants are near Hurricane Sandy’s path.

Nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen says that there are actually 26 nuclear plants in the path of the hurricane, and that the spent fuel pools in the plants don’t have backup pumps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post

Your a good man

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...7&postcount=36

Hang in there for all those who are affected by Sandy!

Joke: You know why hurricanes are named after women? Because when they come they are wet and wild and when they leave they will take your house and car.
    Last edited by rkba01; 10-29-12 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Is getting very windy here and so far everything looks good, have the 2 cars inside the garage with tanks full ready, Hopefully the people on Vermont does not get it really bad like last year. It was horrible.
    Last edited by mikelowrey; 10-29-12 at 11:06.
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by firepolock View Post
    Your a good man

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2
    Agreed. I'm sure her family is appreciative.

I'n not far north of you, Bucks Co. Good luck, I hope everything holds up for you, and here too.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast