Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy inbound

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sandy inbound

Those of you who live in the projected landfall zone: doing anything special?

I'm topping off my gas cans, picking up an extra propane tank, getting some extra cans of food, and packing ice into every crevice of the freezer. I skipped buying a goal0 solar charger a few months ago. Kinda regret that now. I don't even have a car charger for my phone.

iPhone/Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Going to go fill up some more spare gas cans for the genny, and get a few cases of bottled water.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Old callsign

"Sandy inbound" was a lifeline to the hopeless in SEA. OT, but an instant memory.
    On topic - we're dead center in the bullseye. Get to test the readiness preps we have on hand for normal outages and things that happen every winter, extra propane tanks, fill the vehicle gas tanks, rotate almost-outdated canned stuff to the front of the shelf, get a little extra dog food, put out extra seed and blocks for tweety, bambi and friends, etc.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 10-28-12 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good luck fellas. My prayers are with you all and wish you nothing more than a good opportunity to test your level of prepardness.

I know myself and others would appreciate any sort of AAR you'd be willing to share. I always appreciate other's perspectives and insights into situations.

Be careful.

On another note - what sort of behaviors are you observing with your fellow neighbors/community members in the ramp up?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    On another note - what sort of behaviors are you observing with your fellow neighbors/community members in the ramp up?
    That is what I am most interested in finding out.

Thanks and good luck.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

Thanks and good luck.
    I'll let you know once the power goes out in Philadelphia but I would offer that it will get interesting to say the least.

As to any prep's if you don't already have your gear in order its already to late to worry about it.

My only real concern is perimeter security once the area goes a few days without power so I'M hoping that my portable perimeter security grid works as tested in its first real deployment.

The only short falls of the system maybe detection range in driving rain that may open gaps in the coverage zones but time will tell.

I do have a secondary line of defense this week being a pair of three year old Bullmastiff's that we regularly dog sit when a family member has to travel for work and since they have claimed every inch of my property starting back from when they were puppies any uninvited guests will definitely be warmly greeted and treated as a beloved chew toy.

More as it unfolds.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Thanks and good luck.
    A surprising amount of apathy in our neighborhood. The grocery stores, gas stations, etc. are packed out here but my neighbors for the most part seem to think this will just blow by. I hope they are right but a little nod to the possibility of some weather might be sensible.

We are pretty far inland so we just checked stores and topped off on gas, propane etc. I put everything away that I thought might blow and damage the house, cars etc. then I looked around and realized if the wind gets bad, the neighbors' stuff is going to hammer us. I don't think people out here have a concept of 75 mph gusts (worst case scenario from the alarmists at the Weather Channel).

I don't think laying your deck chairs and umbrellas on their sides is going to cut it in a blow like that. I guess if it gets that bad we can sit where we can see a window and watch stuff fly by.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I'll let you know once the power goes out in Philadelphia but I would offer that it will get interesting to say the least.

As to any prep's if you don't already have your gear in order its already to late to worry about it.

My only real concern is perimeter security once the area goes a few days without power so I'M hoping that my portable perimeter security grid works as tested in its first real deployment.

The only short falls of the system maybe detection range in driving rain that may open gaps in the coverage zones but time will tell.

I do have a secondary line of defense this week being a pair of three year old Bullmastiff's that we regularly dog sit when a family member has to travel for work and since they have claimed every inch of my property starting back from when they were puppies any uninvited guests will definitely be warmly greeted and treated as a beloved chew toy.

More as it unfolds.
    You are probably far ahead of most of the population in the area. Keep your head down and good luck.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks and good luck.
    Friends have been helpful. But ive heard stories at gas stations already about people fighting. A year ago after our early snow storm, people were turning into animals. Needless to say, but i will be more protected then normal for the next week or two

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by firepolock View Post
    Friends have been helpful. But ive heard stories at gas stations already about people fighting. A year ago after our early snow storm, people were turning into animals. Needless to say, but i will be more protected then normal for the next week or two

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2
    I have heard the same about the local foods stores in the area having fights over bread, milk and water. It seems once again everyone waited until the last possible minute hoping the storm would miss the area even tho the forecasters gave it a better then 80% hit rate three days ago.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast