Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy inbound

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    We went to the grocery store today - not for any sort of emergency preps, just our weekly shopping. It wasnt overly crowded, but some shelves were noticeably low on things, specifically canned food, water, batteries, etc.

Pretty surprising but actually a little promising...we're up in NH and not supposed to be getting anything bad, just a little rain mid-week but its good to see people didnt wait until the day before. People up here seem to be a little more conscious of inclimate weather since our winters can get pretty harsh.

As for us, I just made sure to fill up on some diesel for the genny if the need arises...otherwise we are more than set.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I'll let you know once the power goes out in Philadelphia but I would offer that it will get interesting to say the least.
    How far is it from your abode to the zombies?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    How far is it from your abode to the zombies?
    Its Philadelphia.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Haven't done much special. Got some extra beef jerky and that is about it. My neighbors and I stick together. Not worried about any interpersonal threats. Stores are pretty empty. I sold plenty of generators friday, I can say that much.

Will keep updated.

Feedback Score
    I just made sure that my sump pump is good to go.

Other than that my major area of concern was gas, since I do deliveries with my private vehicles I made sure that they were full and that I had a few cans of gas around.

I normally have some premix and bar oil on hand so the chainsaw is good if need be.

I live alone so food and water are not an issue. Heat with coal and use a propane stove, so I doubt I will even get a chance to have the excuse to use my camping gear.

On the note of neighbors, I was in a gander mountain picking up some 12gauge to go shooting with buddies and I noticed that the ammo section was packed with people and the selection was thinning out.

Now I know I live in the country and there are a lot of rednecks out here, but the locals ain't dumb enough to try shooting the storm clouds, so I am guessing that nobody trusts their neighbors anymore and want to be prepared....

To me that is sad, gone is the days when we say, first priority is family and the elderly neighbors.

Feedback Score
    I just feel bad for all of the poor dogs that are going to have to go outside 3-4 times a day during all of this stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    A surprising amount of apathy in our neighborhood. The grocery stores, gas stations, etc. are packed out here but my neighbors for the most part seem to think this will just blow by. I hope they are right but a little nod to the possibility of some weather might be sensible.
    I'm seeing this here in upstate NY (Rochester). Most people think one of two things: First, it's just media hype, to get higher ratings. You know, like the swine flu scare. And Secondly, even though its projected to go right over top of us, it'll be very weak by then, and we'll just get some windy rain.

I'm mostly in agreement with them. My worst case scenario is that it dumps 4 feet of snow on us, and then blows it around in drifts. We shall see how badly the jet stream and sandy want to tango. I can deal with anything it throws at us.

iPhone/Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post
    I'm seeing this here in upstate NY (Rochester). Most people think one of two things: First, it's just media hype, to get higher ratings. You know, like the swine flu scare. And Secondly, even though its projected to go right over top of us, it'll be very weak by then, and we'll just get some windy rain.

I'm mostly in agreement with them. My worst case scenario is that it dumps 4 feet of snow on us, and then blows it around in drifts. We shall see how badly the jet stream and sandy want to tango. I can deal with anything it throws at us.
    Totally agree with you, here in Orange County below you, I had to get out of bed and do a light shopping into walmart, upon getting there I was amazed that they had about 5 or 6 walmart trailers unloading the deliveries and they were pretty much stocked up except for the chickens (whole ones) but went in there, grabbed a couple of gallons of water, milk, bread, beans, beef, soup and so far so good.
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To all effected by this system, good luck and keep your heads on a swivel.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post

iPhone/Tapatalk
    I agree with you. The biggest inconvenience will likely be no power and some minor flooding out here, maybe some trees down. If we do get some serious wind, it is going to be interesting watching patio furniture etc. blowing around the neighborhood.

I have been laughing about how they have been making a big deal about the snow. As if no one in the West Virginia mountains or upstate New York has ever been waist deep in white before.
    Open the pig!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast