Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy inbound

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I do have a secondary line of defense this week being a pair of three year old Bullmastiff's that we regularly dog sit when a family member has to travel for work and since they have claimed every inch of my property starting back from when they were puppies any uninvited guests will definitely be warmly greeted and treated as a beloved chew toy.

More as it unfolds.
    If the bullmastiffs are anything like mine, they'll lick an intruder to death. She was the most gentle creature I have ever known.

Good luck with the storm and thanks for taking someone into your home who needed help. It's good of you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been cutting and splitting wood for a month at the farm & have a bunch outside & in the garage. I stocked up on food & water etc...(on top of what I already have put away) a few days ago to avoid the hysteria. It was a good call because I had to go get one thing at the store last night and there weren't any carts available to use when I went in. The place was paaacked.

So now I'm just sitting by a nice fire and waiting to see if the nor'easter and sandy are gunna bury me with snow, or I'll just get a dusting. I'm right on the line of where it's supposed to hit with multiple feet of snow.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_TheGunNut View Post
    If the bullmastiffs are anything like mine, they'll lick an intruder to death. She was the most gentle creature I have ever known.

Good luck with the storm and thanks for taking someone into your home who needed help. It's good of you.
    Not this pair, they are "extremely territorial" and while they will lick a family member to death if they do not know you they will charge and pin that person to the ground. If you resist and make mistake of striking the dog then they will grip you by the throat or face and your toast.

They are great guard dogs and I would consider owning one myself but the 25lbs a food a week and foot long doggie mines keeps me a cat person.

Weather Up-date,

Last gust was 62mph and the trees are starting to fall all over the place and lots or sirens can be heard. Power still on but thats not going to last long as the in-laws near by had their power go out 30 minutes ago.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The trees falling over is the part I'm more worried about here. When we had the high winds & huge storm back in the summer trees fell like crazy at the farm & we were busy fixing cattle fencing for weeks. With the cattle where they're at right now, that could be an issue.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Saw a story at an outlet I always read with a boulder of salt, if I pay any attention to, but the pic speaks for itself.....

Last edited by Stangman; 10-29-12 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    Lessons learned already: auto batteries die at the worst time.

So, when they started talking about Sandy, I wasn't worried. I have plenty of food and water. I have a check list, which was checked and verified (batteries, water, food, medicine, etc.). I picked up some more gas for the chainsaw, started up the chain saw and moved it inside the house from the shed. Cleaned up the yard, etc.

My SUV was just serviced. I drove it last night and no sign of trouble. A few hours ago, I went to start it up, battery completely dead. We still have power, so I was able to charge the battery, but if the power had been down, it would have been a problem. I parked behind my wife's car in the driveway, blocking her in. If it had been necessary to bug out .... we would have had issues.

So, as far as lists, we don't know what we don't know. I didn't think of putting a portable battery starter (if that is the correct term for it) on the list. Therefore, I don't have one. I will be adding it to the list, along with Kerosene (which I went out too late to get - Lesson 2). No worries, we have plenty of dry firewood.

As far as people ... I haven't noticed a difference, I think most people are rude normally.

Stay safe.

Cole
    Cead Mile Failte

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gusts hitting better then 60mph and several trees down on different neighbors properties which I have laid claim to two nice Oaks and one Black Walnut for fire wood once everything blows over.

The dogs alerted to something out back of the property and one of my perimeter alerts signaled in the same area so I geared up to took a look. After a minute I found the neighbors Golden Lab shaking in a ball behind one of my sheds so when I went to return the dog to its owner no one was home so now I have yet another guest to feed dinner to but on the good side all the dogs know each other so there is no issues to deal with.

Learned a few lessons about high wind patrolling that my dark gray rain gear made to much flapping noise in the wind and that my Aim point sight lens had so much water on them it was very hard to see the dot. I'M treating the lens with some Rain X and will be looking for more quiet wet weather clothing for use during high wind patrol.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 10-29-12 at 16:48.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Update for those in NOVA.

Was 8K... now 23K without power.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I'm a FF on the shore in CT and its getting nasty right now, just left on a 12hr mandatory relief, double shifts working. Will report back for duty in the AM, the worst for us is tonight at midnight until 3pm tomorrow as of current forecasts.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast