Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EOTech 553 Experiences

Feedback Score

EOTech 553 Experiences

So what are the new features besides the new throw levers that were mandated by SOCOM? I had heard that has a 1X Magnification...True or not? I just bought an Aimpoint Comp ML3, but I really like the look of this new EOTech...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The EoTech Mod. 553 in addition to the different mount also uses CR123 batteries. It is also about 1/10 of an inch shorter. One reason I did not get one is because of the batteries. Here in Iraq CR123's are not on every street corner, they sometimes are in the PX or you have to mail order. AA batteries can be found anywhere and are cheaper. I believe that is waterproof to 66 ft. vice 33ft. for the 552 and the base is slightly more raised.

Considering the battery life is roughly the same I didn't see the need or justify the extra cost as opposed to a 552.

Feedback Score
    Forget Iraq. CR123 batteries can't be found readily in many places, including the USA. Especially when you need them in a hurry.

Common sense dictates, or at least it should when figuring what it takes to keep your gear up and running no matter where you are. AA batteries win hands down.

You don't need to go to high speed ninja school to figure that one out.

Feedback Score
    I've got a 553 and have been very happy with it. I think there may have been rumors of mounting difficulties. But, I've mounted mine on a Colt and LMT with no problems at all.

The battery type is a non-issue for me. It takes the same batteries as my flashlights, so I've always got extras. Also, there is an auto-off function at 4 or 8 hours [edited to correct # of hours], and the batteries last about 1100 hours (depending on the brightness setting you choose). So, batterries don't have to be changed very often (in my opinion).

It is 1x, so there is no maginification.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The battery issue may be a non-starter for some or it may not be. I pointed it out because CR123 lithium are generally more expensive than AA, and they cannot always be obtained.

Generally speaking I toss the AA's about every month or so, depending on my usage times. I agree that you should always check your gear, but it doesn't always happen, especially in an Oh Shit, QRF moment.

My last contract alot of "cool guys" had EoTechs, but they were pretty much useless in the area that we were operating in. I used an ACOG 4x32. So I guess you should probably ask yourself what do you really want it for? To look cool and have a gadget, punch paper, or for potential serious use?

Feedback Score
    Here is my 553 mounted on my LMT. Love the set up and the smaller overall length than the 552.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    I've got a 553 and have been very happy with it. I think there may have been rumors of mounting difficulties. But, I've mounted mine on a Colt and LMT with no problems at all.
    Fit issues reported (not just rumored) are usually a result of stacking tolerances with the lesser brands. There's still some...range...with the mount itself.

There was discussion of some 553 fit issues and breakage of the ARMS levers in a relatively recent AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by mactastic View Post
    Forget Iraq. CR123 batteries can't be found readily in many places, including the USA. Especially when you need them in a hurry. Common sense dictates, or at least it should when figuring what it takes to keep your gear up and running no matter where you are. AA batteries win hands down. You don't need to go to high speed ninja school to figure that one out.
    Can't speak about Iraq.

In the US, I don't think I've ever been to an Anymart without them. They're not as cheap as mail order, but I don't think you'd have to wander far.

I was a bit surprised at how available I've found them in Europe and Central America, too.

Spares carriers are darn handy where bets need to be hedged.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    So what are the new features besides the new throw levers that were mandated by SOCOM? I had heard that has a 1X Magnification...True or not? I just bought an Aimpoint Comp ML3, but I really like the look of this new EOTech...
    I've own an EOTech 552, Aimpoints M2 & M3L. AA batteries or not, I like the 10,000 battery life of the M2 over the EOTech's -1100 hours. The M3/M3L has 50,000 hours. Take an extra battery with you and forget about it.

Keep in mind that the advertised battery life is actually 10-20% less in actual use, especially in harsher climates.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input guys. I haven't had a single problem with my Aimpoint, but the las time I went shooting the A.R.M.S rings started getting loose. Anyone else had an issue with that? I love the look of the A.R.M.S, but if it becomes an issue, it's gone.

Feedback Score
    We have not had an EO's batteries last more then about half of what they claim. The 553's mount is garbage.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast