Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EOTech 553 Experiences

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Their new MRE style rail looks nice, although I threw up a little just for admitting that ARMS made something decent.
    M4-
    Its ok, no one saw you wrote that
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    I'm looking forward to a 123 "standard mount" to come out, if it does. Any one have good poop on this?

Guys like M4 (among others) is where I got my info from. You will note the info does not change. Just the delivery system. I don't have to get shot to know it will hurt.
    I've been looking hard at one of these, but not untill the change the mount.
    Let me know how it works out for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have to get shot to know it will hurt.
    Isn't that ironic?

Feedback Score
    Guys, I purchased a 553 right before Christmas and have only had the oportunity to shoot my new AR about 200 times with the new 553. I had no idea that there had been problems with this mount. If I had known before hand I would have waited to see what the company would do about it before spending my money.

As stated before I (as well as everyone else) have seen more than enough BS put out over the internet whether it be from one manufacturer or individual not liking another companies products or for some personal reason. This practice of misinformation has left me not trusting 95% of what I read on the web. That is the reason why I like first hand personal expierences and not hearsay. And if pictures of the problem are available then it would be great if they were posted.

I don't have to get shot to know it will hurt.
    I will remember that one.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    That's pretty much true when you are in the military, not so when you are a contractor. On a side note about Eotech customer service. I contacted them a month or so ago about the little battery contacts coming loose in the battery packs. The lady I spoke with said "Sorry, we won't warranty that". Now, I know from other sources that there was a problem with the adhesives they were using. I told them that we had purchased over 300 of them and they should try and help us out, i.e WARRANTY. After I spoke to someone else and then talked to her again she then backpeddled and said we would have to send in all the damaged ones for the to "investigate" the cause. I informed her that because of the mail system her and the fact that the APO will not allow you to send weapons related accesories through mail she said "Sorry without that we can't help you". Piss poor service if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Same thing with my VITAL II on my personal gun.

As for the battery issue, I have yet to go anywhere in Iraq that didn't have pallets of 123 batteries. A quarter-million RFI Surefires use them, adaptors for the MBITR, the PEQ-15 that's trickling out, COMSEC devices, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had two different 553's reticles fail last fall, they were both still under warranty,
    shipped both back to Eotech for repair...both units were returned within 10 days repaired.
    On another issue I had a new FTS "samson" mount that had one of the
    windage adjustment screw heads damaged. Eotech sent me another
    new one at no charge (samson sells these for $220ea.) with a UPS pickup
    to return the damaged one.
    You should not need service...but, Eotech's service is top notch....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I informed her that because of the mail system her and the fact that the APO will not allow you to send weapons related accesories through mail
    I don't know about FROM the sandbox through APO back to here, but I have had no problems sending "weapons accessories" through the APO system to units in Iraq and Afghanistan and the customs form clearly says "rifle sight" or "grip" or whatever. The USPS website lists restrictions to APOs and "weapons accessories" are not one of them. Just weapons themselves, and for "official use" that is not fast and firm either.

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Chad,

Generally this restriction (I spoke of) applies to stuff being sent back from Iraq to the states and sometimes depends on location and moods of the day. One thing you may want to look at if you haven't already are the rules concerning ITAR. It is pretty specific when talking about sending parts outside the U.S. Though I don't have the manual right in front of me I highly suggest you take a look at it. I have to deal with this crap all the time when ordering replacement parts for weapons as well as the weapons themselves. You have to jump through the hoops of the Dept. of State, BATFE and DDTC. It's a nightmare.

Update; I found it take a look.

§ 121.1 General. The United States Munitions List.
    (a) The following articles, services and related technical data are designated as defense articles and defense services pursuant to §§38 and 47(7) of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778 and 2794(7)). Changes in designations will be published in theFederal Register.Information and clarifications on whether specific items are defense articles and services under this subchapter may appear periodically through the Internet Web site of the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.

(b) Significant military equipment: An asterisk precedes certain defense articles in the following list. The asterisk means that the article is deemed to be “Significant Military Equipment” to the extent specified in §120.7 of this subchapter. The asterisk is placed as a convenience to help identify such articles. Note that technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles enumerated in any category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designed SME.

(c) Missile Technology Control Regime Annex (MTCR). Certain defense articles and services are identified in §121.16 as being on the list of MTCR Annex items on the United States Munitions List. These are articles as specified in §120.29 of this subchapter and appear on the list at §121.16.

Category I—Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns

*(a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).

*(b) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber inclusive (12.7 mm).

*(c) Firearms or other weapons (e.g. insurgency-counterinsurgency, close assault weapons systems) having a special military application regardless of caliber.

*(d) Combat shotguns. This includes any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.

*(e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

*(g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category.

Note: This coverage by the U.S. Munitions List in paragraphs (a) through (i) of this category excludes any non-combat shotgun with a barrel length of 18 inches or longer, BB, pellet, and muzzle loading (black powder) firearms. This category does not cover riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications. It also excludes accessories and attachments (e.g., belts, slings, after market rubber grips, cleaning kits) for firearms that do not enhance the usefulness, effectiveness, or capabilities of the firearm, components and parts. The Department of Commerce regulates the export of such items. See the Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR parts 730–799). In addition, license exemptions for the items in this category are available in various parts of this subchapter (e.g. §§123.17, 123.18 and 125.4).
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 02-15-08 at 05:33. Reason: Adding Info.

Feedback Score
    Iraqgunz,

I may be able to help with this issue

contact me off board.

Feedback Score
    I've seen numerous EOTech mounting failures directly related to the person that installed it. That's not to dismiss what others have witnessed - I'm just saying...

I'm amazed how many I've seen on the firing line, slightly canted because there wasn't a good interface to the rail & the shooter was oblivious to this. After taking the weapon off-line & clearing, you could grasp the sight & pull it off to one side, removing it from the weapon. It would be just a matter of time before this would have fallen off on it's own accord or due to an impact. Once installed properly & re-zeroed, no problems. This is very similar to what we see with gas keys & gas blocks that go Tango Uniform - improper installation.

There might be other issues that are out there, but I've seen this rather often. Just something to consider. YMMV.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast