Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: help me gear up for post-disaster, worst-case scenario. critiques? suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I'd agree to that Seriously though your spot on with the above -

Given the gentleman wants post disaster worst case stuff -- I'd have him look into a 240B and a ton of ammo -- and some sandbags.

and concertina wire.

thanks all for the advice & the humor.

Feedback Score
    I like the idea of having a low-profile kit.

I don't think you really have to worry too much about gear if you are just in/around your own home. Everyone should know you and all your supplies should be close at hand.

If you need to leave your area, either to evacuate or accomplish some other goal, you will likely be moving in and around a lot of frightened and confused civilians, law enforcement and/or military in a high state of alert and/or confusion themselves, and criminals looking for opportunities.

I think situations on either end of the spectrum are the easiest to plan for because there are fewer variables. It is the "middle" scenarios that are difficult. Natural disaster, temporary social disorder, terrorist attack are all middle type scenarios that have happened recently, but have all been very different in what you might have to face as an individual.

I would have a discreet carbine carry case: instrument case, baseball bat bag, tennis raquet case, etc..

I would have a civilian style ruck in a dark, non-mil color (forest green, brown) loaded with short duration sustainment gear: a few MRE's, spare ammo, flashlight, some line, 1st aid kit, small survival kit, saw, e-tool, possibly cold or wet weather gear depending on climate, water (camel bak), etc..

I would have a low profile chest rig that holds your carbine mags flat against your chest. A split front is better because you can open it or spread the front straps enough to conceal it even with an open coat or shirt over it. Black would be my choice in color because you would be able to conceal it better under clothing.

I would carry a pistol however you carry CCW with spare mags on your belt or pockets. I would carry a folding knife and small LED light on my belt or pocket.

If you can afford body armor, get concealable soft body armor and a slick plate carrier or one of the semi-concealable carriers that have plate pockets.

Having modularity in your gear would allow you to tailor it to your task, whether you are just making the rounds in your neighborhood to check on neighbors or you are escaping a flood in a row boat with your family.

Feedback Score
    My setup for a real nasty scenario would entail armor and drop legs.

Other than home invasion, I would really have no ability to use a carbine in my area except for a Katrina-like situation. If the situation calls for my carbine, it calls for body armor and everything else. I have teamed up with 2 neighbors in case of a hurricane or tornado turning society not so polite.

Home invasion: If I wake to someone in the hallway, I grab the carbine or pistol by my bedside. If I have 30 seconds, carbine, soft armor, and pistol.

For general defense outside of home, I just wear a CCW rig and an extra mag. In a pistol class I wear an OWB kydex and 2-3 extra mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by supertac View Post
    My setup for a real nasty scenario would entail armor and drop legs.

Other than home invasion, I would really have no ability to use a carbine in my area except for a Katrina-like situation. If the situation calls for my carbine, it calls for body armor and everything else. I have teamed up with 2 neighbors in case of a hurricane or tornado turning society not so polite.

Home invasion: If I wake to someone in the hallway, I grab the carbine or pistol by my bedside. If I have 30 seconds, carbine, soft armor, and pistol.

For general defense outside of home, I just wear a CCW rig and an extra mag. In a pistol class I wear an OWB kydex and 2-3 extra mags.
    You nailed my premise behind this thread. Worst-case, where I want all my gear either on me or very close at hand.

I shot in a subgun match this weekend, and was able to give my "bug-out belt" a decent test. It worked well, didn't hinder my movement (positioned the drop-legs up as HIGH as possible), and was pretty comfortable (relatively speaking). However, like previous posters stated, the drop-leg mag-holders are best left for feeding a belt mag holder...I ended up putting mags in my dump-pouch for quick access. Will probably make a few kydex mag holders to go on my belt.

Regardless, I'm still evaluating what I really need & what works best. I have a 2-day carbine course this weekend, and won't be using my "bug-out belt" because I'm not 100% satisfied with it. Will instead go with a simpler setup with holster & mag pouches on the belt, because that's something I already know works great.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345