Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescue Hooks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Rescue Hooks

I am on the look out for a rescue hook. I am considering the BENCHMADE 8 BLKW Rescue Hook based on the reputation of Benchmade as well as the slender design. Any commentary on this hook or do you prefer another model?
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've used the Benchmade models and they work great when new. Mine seemed to dull quicker than I thought it would with what I would say was moderate use. I found it very difficult to re-sharpen & ended up sending it back to Benchmade for their sharpening service. If you plan on just using it for "emergencies" I think it would do you well. I was working in an ER at the time I first got mine so I was using it a good bit. You may have better luck than I did with re-sharpening, I just couldn't seem to get it right when I tried.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I like their 7 hook a ton - it fits in small places and is pretty low profile. I still run one on the seat belt for my truck.

Mine receive limited use (mostly sit there, but I usually use that one for opening mail and dumb tasks like that), so sharpness hasn't been a concern for me.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I owned a Benchmade 5 in the past.

Great tool - I am sure it would have performed well for me ...

But I mounted the sheath inverted on suspenders - because that would have given me the best access ...

But that tool decided it was not right for me - sob - because it decided it needed to be free.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've got a Benchmade Houdini (that's what they call it now) strapped to the steering column on the van, just in case.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ontario knife makes one that takes replacement razor blades. That baby cuts ACUs like their butter.
    www.highcountrydefense.com
    Out of a hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there and 80 are just targets. Nine are the real fighters, and we are thankful for them because they make the battle. But the one, the one is a warrior and he brings the others back-Heraclites

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceLeroy View Post
    Ontario knife makes one that takes replacement razor blades. That baby cuts ACUs like their butter.
    Anything cuts ACU's like they are butter..... the material is crap lol
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    I have been packing the #8 BM Hook for a few years in my hunting pack, I use it like a gut hook and it opens deer and elk like a zipper. Mine has been used a fair bit mostly on hide with lots of hair but also on some tarps and game bags and seems to be holding an edge as well as can be expected of any 440 class steel. I Wish they would make one out of S90V.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like shears better-preferably US or German made Stainless ones, the Chinese use something else for the rivet. I have found that hooks only work well when what you are trying to cut is under tension, ie. a locked seat belt, rope holding something etc. If your using it for day to day, there are some cheap models that use shop blades so you can change them easily and not have to sharpen it regularly.
    Allen
    Last edited by Allen; 12-04-12 at 15:17. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Benchmade makes great hooks. I carry the 7 hook as part of EDC in a custom made IWC holster. I carry a 8 hook in my infection control fanny pack and one in my primary trauma kit.

There is a guy locally that can sharpen them for me when I nned them to be sharpened.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast