Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading an Express. What else?

Feedback Score

Upgrading an Express. What else?

I have an 870 Express that I have upgraded with Vang Safety, SF Forend, Single Point Sling, 4 shot side saddle, Youth Stock, Vang SS follower, Vang 2 shot Mag extension, with an 18" IC Rifle Sighted barrel. (I don't like Ghost Rings after several years of trying to love them, so that is not an option. I'm as fast and more accurate with the rifle sights. Head shots in 3 seconds with slugs are not a problem.)

As far as things like the Vang Comp Porting and Back bore...been there and done that, but with the new Federal Flite Control Wads, I don't need it for tighter patterns. The Flite Control loads pattern 5" at 20 yds. which is as good as my Vang Comp Mod did. As far as recoil control...this has not been a problem for me and the "Limb Saver" recoil pad from Remington does a great job (I mean GREAT JOB) at absorbing recoil.

So, the only thing that I can think of to bring this 870 up to par as a SD piece that will get used in training is the Police/ Wingmaster trigger group that has a steel housing, and upgraded/ heavier sear and hammer spring. I can get it for $100 from Brownells and just drop it in.

What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds good to me. I've been thinking of upgrading my Express too. I'd love to see some picks of yours. How did you remove the mag tube divots for retaining the end cap thingie (for lack of knowledge of the proper term) ?

-RD62

Feedback Score
    RD....

Removing the Mag Tube Dimples on the Express is a common modification that needs to be done before installing an extended Mag tube. It's fairly easy, but just like anything else with metal, you need to go "Slow".

Remove the tube end cap, spring and follower. You'll note that the follower has grooves on each side that need to be lined up with the dimples to remove it from the tube.

Now, take a Dremel tool with a barrel shaped (Not pointed shape) grinder tip and carefully start to grind each dimple down "flush" with the inner surface of the tube. Make sure you grind it completely flush, or your follower will "bind" when you install the new follower, spring, and extension tube. Also be sure that you don't "dig" into the inner tube wall or you may remove too much metal and go through the inside to the outside. Again....grind it "flush" with the inner wall and you'll be good to go. You could probably use a fine, round "Rat Tail" file, but the Dremel will give you better results and a smoother finish.

I suggest that you follow up with a polishing wheel and make the surface "Mirror Bright". Before putting the new follower, spring and tube on, take just the follower an put it in the tube. It should move freely up and down with "Gravity without catching on the ground and polished surfaces. If it doesn't, you need to remove more metal and re-polish until it does.

Follow up by swabbing the inside of the tube to remove any metal particles from the grinding operation. Pretty simple stuff, and again...we've all had to do it. There is no way around this modification if you want to add an extension tube on an Express.

Here's a Pic of my 870 Express.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That is an excellent working shotgun… If you later wanted to install the meprolite factory style night sights and upgrade the internal springs to the police model standard with the aluminum trigger guard and the flex tab lifter, those would also be good things too, but there is nothing wrong with the way it is…

For a sling, I prefer a short two point system using the hard fixed swivel points at the rear of the magazine extension and the between the rear of the receiver and the stock, with a v-tac or vickers blue force… The shotgun fly’s around too much for me on a one point system, but YMMV…

Buck
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    Buck,

How do you attach the mount in front? What type or brand of adapter?

I haven't seen such a device for the shotty. Only the AR with rails.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    ......the "Limb Saver" recoil pad from Remington does a great job (I mean GREAT JOB) at absorbing recoil.....
    I just replaced the factory pad on my 870 with one of these, and was surprised that it really did make a noticable difference. Can't really reduce recoil, as the basic function of the gun determines that, but it does somehow spread it out to be less severe feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    ......If you later wanted to install the meprolite factory style night sights.......
    I like the precision that the Remington rifle sights provide, but do have trouble seeing the front sight very well against some targets, depending on amount of light, etc. It's not always as bright (or as big) as I need.

I don't really need glow-in-the-dark, but would like something more hi-vis -- or just wider -- than the factory front, but that would also easily install in the ramp dovetail.

As far as barrels, even with my current 20-inch IC, I'm still not getting tight enough groups for some hard-to-move steel targets at my local 3-gun matches. Any suggestions how to address that? I was thinking of getting a Rem-Choke barrel and installing a full choke, but I see that Remington makes them only for Wingmaster and Special Purpose guns. Mine is an Express -- can it except the other model barrels?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Buck,

How do you attach the mount in front? What type or brand of adapter?

I haven't seen such a device for the shotty. Only the AR with rails.

I believe the +2 magazine extension from vang comes with a fixed hard swivel that can be mounted at 3, 6, or 9 o'clock... I know that both scattergun and MI sell a front swivel as a separate part if your extension does not have one...

Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    I like the precision that the Remington rifle sights provide, but do have trouble seeing the front sight very well against some targets, depending on amount of light, etc. It's not always as bright (or as big) as I need.

I don't really need glow-in-the-dark, but would like something more hi-vis -- or just wider -- than the factory front, but that would also easily install in the ramp dovetail.
    The meprolights will offer the same precision as the factory sights with the addition of tritium for low light conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    As far as barrels, even with my current 20-inch IC, I'm still not getting tight enough groups for some hard-to-move steel targets at my local 3-gun matches. Any suggestions how to address that?
    A lot of that has to do with the type of ammunition you use... Look into using the new federal shotgun ammunition with the flight control wads... They make a huge difference... baring that i would send the barrel off to vang and have him work his magic on the inside without the porting... That can mace a big difference too...

Just my .02

Buck
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    I like the Trijicon night sights. It gives a similar sight picture as my Glock.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    .....The meprolights will offer the same precision as the factory sights with the addition of tritium for low light conditions...

The front blade looks wider than the factory version too.

........Look into using the new federal shotgun ammunition with the flight control wads... They make a huge difference.....
    I'll check that out too. Gotta find something to kick that steel better.

Quote Originally Posted by GastonG-NoVa View Post
    I like the Trijicon night sights. It gives a similar sight picture as my Glock.
    Shall check that out as well (I also like my G19's sight picture).

Feedback Score

I believe the +2 magazine extension from vang comes with a fixed hard swivel that can be mounted at 3, 6, or 9 o'clock... I know that both scattergun and MI sell a front swivel as a separate part if your extension does not have one...

The meprolights will offer the same precision as the factory sights with the addition of tritium for low light conditions...

A lot of that has to do with the type of ammunition you use... Look into using the new federal shotgun ammunition with the flight control wads... They make a huge difference... baring that i would send the barrel off to vang and have him work his magic on the inside without the porting... That can mace a big difference too...

Just my .02

Buck
    I'm confused about your reply. I thought when you said to attach the front part of the sling to the rear of the Mag Extension you meant at the front of the receiver (all the way back to where the Mag tube attaches to the receiver) aka M4 style at the front of the receiver, and the rear mount at the rear of the receiver.

My issue with anything ahead of the forend is that it may interfere with operation. I still have the Vang Mag Tube sling adapter, but I removed it when I went with a single point. I do agree that they do flop around. Do you know of any mounts that we could try that attach at the front of the receiver? I can;t figure a way to do it, but i sure like the way my Vickers 2 pint hugs my M4 to my body in this fashion.

What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast