Thread: First Upper Build

Feedback Score

First Upper Build

Ok, I've finished my first upper build (pics to follow). Well, almost, I still plan to add a light and Troy backups.

Specs:
    16" mid-length Govt. profile barrel from BCM.
    CMT M4 upper.
    CMT BCH.
    Larue gas block.
    Larue 12.0 rail.
    Trijicon Tripower in Larue cantilever mount.

Only question I really had was on the placement of the gas block. I eyeballed it as best I could, and it looked to be in the right spot. Well, so far I've given it a 40-50 round function test and it seems to work just fine, so I guess the gas block is in the right place. Once I have it zeroed, I plan to shoot and abuse the shit out of it to see how much I like the sight and the configuration. Is there anything else that I should be watching over the next few hundred rounds or should I be good to go?

Now, on to the lower build...
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That sounds like a damn sweet upper.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    GotM4 posted his method where he marks the position of the gas port with a grease pencil on both the barrel and gas block and then lines them up. I haven't tried it but it makes sense and hopefully he'll be along to clarify that since I can't seem to find the original thread.

Standing by for pictures!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Neeglik,

Only thing I can suggest, if you havent already done so, is install a D-fender ring and a Wolff or Colt extra power extractor spring in your bolt. Some places sell extractor upgrade kits that work great as well, like S.A.W. and 10-8. Wheres the pics man!!!

Feedback Score
    Ok, here she is. Sorry the pics are a little dark.

The flash hider was a bit tough to get on, thus the scratches to it. That's a Falcon Husky VFG with quick detach ability. Seems like a pretty good mount; time will tell. I'm still experimenting with light mounts. Shown is a Vltor mount, but I have the Viking offset mount en route to see if I like it better. I'll be sticking with either a Surefire G2 or the pictured 6P/9P conversion. Like I said before, she still needs the Troy BUIS's.

Oh, the lower is off my SAM-ish rifle. The lower I build for this upper will be virtually identical.
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous