Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy got a young doe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was he trained to hunt? I mean, I know dogs have a inherent ability to ability to hunt but was there any training? Especially since he was alone.

I have always wondered what my GSD mix would do if it came to bigger game (outside of squirrels and rabbits) because he is so nice.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfkorean View Post
    Was he trained to hunt? I mean, I know dogs have a inherent ability to ability to hunt but was there any training? Especially since he was alone.

I have always wondered what my GSD mix would do if it came to bigger game (outside of squirrels and rabbits) because he is so nice.
    No, he's got some protection training but that's it. High prey drive, and aggressive when needs be but great with kids

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    That is what dogs do.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    That is what dogs do.
    Precisely.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That's awesome! Around here no one would care. I'd definitely skin it and get as much meat as possible. That would be great eating!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That. is. awesome.

My other dog Morgan (half lab half wimer), nearly did that earlier this year, but I called him off. He's got a super high prey drive. Can't have him around any cats or smaller animals what-so-ever, without supervision or else he'll be dragging back a carcase.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I was eyeing that backstrap but there was a chance of other hikers coming around....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Buddy is a magnificent looking dog. I hope he gives you and your family a long life of service, companionship, entertainment and all those things only dogs can do for us. Your story made me recall this one that happened to a good friend about 4 years ago.

This is my buddy, his 36 pound 1/4 Jack Russel 3/4 Boykin, and her kill. She has taken countless rabbits, squirrels, moles, etc...but this was her largest quarry. This is his account of the story;

"I'll have to post the extended story when I find the time, but this is the synopsis: Maple jumped this deer, chased it through a field, through a briar thicket, into a pond, swam 100 yards+ through the pond chasing it and then caught it on the bank. I dispatched it with my knife. One deer with no gun, just Maple. I cooked the tenderloins for her, I thought she deserved them."
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I was eyeing that backstrap but there was a chance of other hikers coming around....
    That's too bad. Nacho deserved to eat well for a few days for the effort.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangman View Post
    That. is. awesome.

Agreed.

I would think with the overpopulation of deer in most places, no one would care if a dog takes down a deer. Especially a small doe.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast