Thread: Meopta K-Dot vs IOR 1.1-4X26 CRT vs Horus 1-4x24

Feedback Score

Meopta K-Dot vs IOR 1.1-4X26 CRT vs Horus 1-4x24

I'm trying to determine between two scopes, Meopta K-Dot, or IOR CRT. I'm looking for a versatile scope, one that could be used both for CQB and for 500-yard precision shot if there is a need.

My most immediate need is a good sight for use at an upcoming Appleseed event, one that wouldn't be an impediment shooting those types of targets.

The K-Dot seems to have a good reputation. Its only drawback, AFAIK, is that the dot is too large for precision shots.

The IOR seems more suited for long-range shots and has a horse-shoe for CQB. However, I haven't been able to determine whether the illumination is visible in bright sunlight, like the K-Dot.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: also, can anyone comment on the Horus 1-4x24, including its various reticle options (H50, H48, and H47)?

Feedback Score
    Define precision with a 5.56 @ 600 yards.

Ive used my K-Dot out to 650 to make MOA hits on a half man steel target...

its all about that trigger finger...and your breathing

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The IOR's illum is not visible in direct sunlight. Other than that, the CQB reticle works well for both close-in (horseshoe) and distance shooting (center dot and mil-calibrated stadia) where the target's contrast is high enough for you to see the reticle. Nice glass, and built like a tank. I also like that the adjustment knobs are covered, as this is a zero-it-and-holdover type scope for sure.

One note: both of my IORs illuminate the fine reticle lines but not the horseshoe. You might want to check with Scott at Valdada USA, Scott at Liberty Optics, or Mike at CSGunWorks to see if the most recent version of this scope illuminates the same way.

So far, only the S&B Short Dot combines daylight-visible illumination and a reticle with holdover markings in a single, integrated 1-4x package. The Elcan Specter DR is sort of there, but the massive knob on the left side of the scope occludes peripheral vision, the spec allows for up to a 1.5MOA shift in zero between the 1x and 4x settings, and the ARMS levers may or may not fit your upper receiver. If you really need daylight visible illum with marked holdovers on the reticle TODAY, you really only have one choice.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    I'd be satisfied with MOA accuracy at 600. Is it easy with the K-Dot?

In fact, how big is the dot in K-Dot?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetentacle View Post
    I'd be satisfied with MOA accuracy at 600. Is it easy with the K-Dot?

In fact, how big is the dot in K-Dot?
    Ummm...

At 600, the dot will be nowhere near your target if you're holding over. As an example, take 77gr Mk262 with an MV of 2680 out of a standard 1:7 14.5" barrel. With a 200yd zero, you'd have to hold 103" above the target to make hits at 600. Or, dial in 16.4 MOA of elevation - how many clicks can you count before you lose count?

This is why you really want some sort of holdover markings (BDC, mil, etc) to make longer range shots. As an example, for the above scenario you'd hold between the 4 and 5 markings on the IOR mil-calibrated elevation ladder (4.8 mils).

Derek, what part of the K-Dot reticle did you end up using to make your hits at 650 yards?
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post

Derek, what part of the K-Dot reticle did you end up using to make your hits at 650 yards?

with 30MOA dialed in, I had the dot centered on the target as best as I could...

(77SMKs out of a 16inch lilja)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    The IOR's illum is not visible in direct sunlight. Other than that, the CQB reticle works well for both close-in (horseshoe) and distance shooting (center dot and mil-calibrated stadia) where the target's contrast is high enough for you to see the reticle. Nice glass, and built like a tank. I also like that the adjustment knobs are covered, as this is a zero-it-and-holdover type scope for sure.

One note: both of my IORs illuminate the fine reticle lines but not the horseshoe.
    In the newest version of the CQB reticle, the horseshoe does not illuminate, only the lines and the center dot. Given the thickness of the reticle, it would have overpowered the rest of the illumination. Personally not a big deal, as the horseshoe is used to "bracket" a target and not for precision shooting.

When we collaborated with the importer on the redesign of the reticle several years ago, we advised that one of the most requested features was daylight illumination. The factory looked into it and could not make it work, whether it was economics or engineering, we never inquired.

Meopta is able to make it work with the K Dot, but I believe that the long integral sun shade has a lot to do with that.

Bluetentacle,

you might also want to consider the Valdada 1.5 - 8. Not as big a FOV at low power as the 1.1 or the Meopta, but it has the additional magnification for greater distances.