Thread: Deer Hunting with an AK?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Deer Hunting with an AK?

I had a friend ask me today about the idea of hunting with an AK. He is a retired doctor in his late 60's, and is tired of getting beat-up by his .270 and 12 gauge slug gun. In the club where he hunts the longest shots possible are out to 300 yards. He "still" hunts from a tree stand with a rail for a rest. It is a traditional old Southern gentlemen-type club, where each member has a cabin and there is a communal dining house. I think he likes the idea of shaking things up a bit.

I was thinking something like a SGL-21 with a 1-8x might fit the bill. He is not opposed to the AR platform. In fact, shooting my 6920 last week is what started turning the wheels in his head. But he likes the idea of a relatively inexpensive and readily available round that is lethal out to 300 yards. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated, as I would like to give him the most informed recommendation I can.

Edit: Maybe a 1-8x is out of the price range, perhaps a 2-7x would be more appropriate.
    Last edited by 7.62WildBill; 11-12-12 at 17:48.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder