Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Flash hider for AK 7.62?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Best Flash hider for AK 7.62?

Hello, I wanted to know what the best Flash hider would be for pinning to a shortened barrel on an AK in 7.62x39mm would be? I am planning to get a Krebs AK 103k and I wanted to have a flash hider pinned instead of the muzzle break. From what I have seen on you tube it looked like the AAC Blackout and SE Vortex were the best, is there any others I should look at? Also does one of these have less of the "ringing" sound than the other? Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bulgarian AR-M1 type.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would just go with the SE Vortex.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For 24mm threaded muzzles I'd say the Manticore Night Shroud, for 14mm threads it's hard to beat a Phantom or even an A2 designed for .30 caliber.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Does BE Meyers make a device to fit your rifle?
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    It must be 24mmx1.5 right hand thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Would the Surefire flash hider fit? I am contemplating getting their FH for mine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    It must be 24mmx1.5 right hand thread
    You're pretty limited with the 24mm threads, Manticore is probably a best bet.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    With 24mm threads you are stuck with either the Bulgarian flash hider or the Manticore.

With 14mm the vortex is excellent, but will ping. I would also be somewhat concerned about pinning a Vortex, as they have a ledge that could trap fouling between it and the face of the barrel. This could theoretically lead to accelerated wear and pitting of the face and crown.

If I was pinning a muzzle device on an AK, I would choose either an A2 or a MI flash hider. They are both light and short (which maximizes the amount of barrel you can have at a given overall length). Neither has a ledge over the face of the barrel. I picked the MI up on a whim to try it out, and was shocked at what a good job it does at both hiding flash and compensating without creating any noticeable overpressure.

If you do insist upon 'near-zero' flash your choices (to my knowledge) are the blackout (with custom threading) and vortex. I personally do not think that either is worth the trouble on a pinned barrel for the above reasons. If you absolutely need to have as close to zero flash as possible, either stay at 16" or pay the $200 for a tax stamp.
    Last edited by calvin118; 11-14-12 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MAC's Video Link

Tim from Military Arms did a very good test of the Manticore products above in both 14 & 24mm patterns. It's worth checking out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast