Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trauma Training

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    this is gonna sound kind of ignorant, but youtube is a great resource for this topic.

for ex.. NAR (north american rescue) have a youtube channel with "how to use properely" vids on there.

of just search youtube using the name of the piece of kit your trying to learn how to use and you can usually find a well done how to vid on its use and application.
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    I hate being the guy who brings a little black cloud in, but keep in mind that performing medical procedures on someone else opens you up to legal actions. It's unfortunate, but it's reality.

Even if you're trained & certified, if you're acting on your own without medical direction, you're liable (hell, even with med direction you can be sued).

Not saying it's not good stuff to know, just keep in mind that there could be consequences to your actions even if you save someone's life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    not a whole lot to learn...

plug the holes or apply tourniquet to stop bleeding....transport to trauma center.

If someone is having fantasies about performing cric's or sealing sucking chest wounds .....then it's just that...fantasies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
    not a whole lot to learn...

plug the holes or apply tourniquet to stop bleeding....transport to trauma center.

If someone is having fantasies about performing cric's or sealing sucking chest wounds .....then it's just that...fantasies.
    This.

As a physician I certainly recommend pursuing some sort of education on first aid, at least a CPR course. There lots of others out there, such as wilderness first aid or tactical courses where you would get some more hands on experience with splinting, wound care, etc. Not sure how practical some of these skills would be though to non-medical folks. Honestly, knowing good CPR will probably be more useful to average person as opposed to going through a tactical medic course.

I've needle decompressed a few tension pneumothoracies in the hospital, don't really see a situation where I would do one outside the hospital though.

If I'm involved in a shooting situation in public there's not a whole lot me or anyone is going to be able to do besides very basic supportive care and getting that person to a definitive care.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL2011 View Post
    This.

As a physician I certainly recommend pursuing some sort of education on first aid, at least a CPR course. There lots of others out there, such as wilderness first aid or tactical courses where you would get some more hands on experience with splinting, wound care, etc. Not sure how practical some of these skills would be though to non-medical folks. Honestly, knowing good CPR will probably be more useful to average person as opposed to going through a tactical medic course.

I've needle decompressed a few tension pneumothoracies in the hospital, don't really see a situation where I would do one outside the hospital though.

If I'm involved in a shooting situation in public there's not a whole lot me or anyone is going to be able to do besides very basic supportive care and getting that person to a definitive care.
    Here's my 2 cents on knowing CPR....good for people who have cardiac arrest from heart disease.....essentially worthless in a shooting situation.

You obviously know as well as I do that traumatic arrests (ie from massive exsanguination) has essentially a zero survival rate outside of a hospital...no point in thumping on their chests other than to make yourself feel like you're doing something.

Now if someone has a heart attack from seeing someone bleeding out, then ones knowledge of CPR may be beneficial.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lots more MI's ou there in my daily living than gunshot wounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas42 View Post
    Lots more MI's ou there in my daily living than gunshot wounds.

Was kind of my point. With a traumatic arrest from a gunshot wound or hemorrhage there's really not much you're going to be able to do. Survival is basically nil at that point.

More likely to run across an MI in public where CPR and knowledge about how to use an AED would be helpful.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Just can't seem to ignore the lack if a skill set. Need to have a plan. Sued or not, I refuse to let someone die if I can help, or could have.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Good on you, Frank. Everyone should have some first aid training. Chances are you'll use that training at some point, and not at the range, either.

Feedback Score

Penetrating trauma in a tactical environment

Friend,
    60% of all preventable deaths in this scenario occur from bleeding to death from extremity wounds

30% from a condition known as a Tension Pneumothorax (progressive build-up of air within the pleural space, usually due to a lung laceration)

1-2% from airway occlusion (they guys most likely will need an intervention know as cricothyroidotomy

So if you get your self a good tourniquet (modern COTCCC Approved) some chest seals and a needle decompression device. You could potentially decrease preventable death up to 80-90%.

If you are interested I can provide you with some information and a few other things that would be of great help.

Rob

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast