Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trauma Training

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert M Miller View Post
    Friend,
    60% of all preventable deaths in this scenario occur from bleeding to death from extremity wounds

30% from a condition known as a Tension Pneumothorax (progressive build-up of air within the pleural space, usually due to a lung laceration)

1-2% from airway occlusion (they guys most likely will need an intervention know as cricothyroidotomy

So if you get your self a good tourniquet (modern COTCCC Approved) some chest seals and a needle decompression device. You could potentially decrease preventable death up to 80-90%.

If you are interested I can provide you with some information and a few other things that would be of great help.

Rob
    please give reference for the above statistics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Just can't seem to ignore the lack if a skill set. Need to have a plan. Sued or not, I refuse to let someone die if I can help, or could have.
    I also believe it is important to have some basic first aid skills, tactical/firearm related or not. As far as being sued goes, check your state's laws. In FL, we have 'Good Samaritan' language that covers a lot of scenarios. Basically, it grants immunity to legal action when aid was attempted to be rendered in good faith (with victim consent, expressly given or implied) in a situation where professional care was not immediately available.
    Last edited by jet66; 12-06-12 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Friend,
    60% of all preventable deaths in this scenario occur from bleeding to death from extremity wounds

30% from a condition known as a Tension Pneumothorax (progressive build-up of air within the pleural space, usually due to a lung laceration)

1-2% from airway occlusion (they guys most likely will need an intervention know as cricothyroidotomy

So if you get your self a good tourniquet (modern COTCCC Approved) some chest seals and a needle decompression device. You could potentially decrease preventable death up to 80-90%.

If you are interested I can provide you with some information and a few other things that would be of great help.

Rob
    I think you are talking overkill for a dude who wants basic first aid/trauma training. Chest needles for a layperson? Most range shooters have no need for TCCC-type training....basic first aid will suit him just fine.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I think you are talking overkill for a dude who wants basic first aid/trauma training. Chest needles for a layperson? Most range shooters have no need for TCCC-type training....basic first aid will suit him just fine.
    As an eagle scout I have the basic stuff. I'm looking for trauma training.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Friend,

Rob
    100% interested. Please send them

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Frank, do what you want to do...needling someone's chest when you don't need to, not knowing when not to...good samaritan laws won't cover you for that as those are advanced skills. Tourneys, fine...training for a procedure which you will likely never do, and therefore botch when you do it, will never end up a good scenario. You have a higher chance of being struck by lightening than having to use TCCC-type skills.

Best of luck...Most sincerely, I do hope you find what you are looking for and get some good training.
    Last edited by chuckman; 12-06-12 at 11:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    First off, I commend you for wanting to get some training. But this is something you should really think hard about how you are going to employ. By that I mean are you just looking out for the remote possibility that you are going to be there when something goes wrong, or are you looking to place yourself in a situation where you may be employing skills regularly? If the former, I would maybe go with a first-responder level class that gives you the basics. That is after all what would most likely be needed in most situations-basic skills. By that I mean ABCs. If you have the opportunity to volunteer for an EMS service or some such situation where you might have the chance to use a larger skill set, it might be worth going for an EMT cert. Otherwise its a bigger investment that probably won't pay off for you.

I volunteered for a rural ambulance service & mountain rescue team for around 10 yrs & did a lot of training for various scenarios in that time, but 99+% of the time what I was doing was the basics. Even now as an RN working in an acute care inpatient setting most of what I do relies on the more basic stuff. Somewhere along the line during my EMS days a Paramedic with far more experience than myself or anyone I was working with made the comment that it was usually the EMT Basics who saved the Paramedic's ass because they weren't all wrapped up in their advanced skills & didn't overlook the ABCs.
    Last edited by will_be; 12-06-12 at 11:35.

Feedback Score

Sorry

Guys,

Did not mean to start a firestorm I was under the impression it was a tactical related scenario. All the things I'm reading are correct about training competency and direct support available. If anyone ever needs slides or videos of TCCC related material I have a stock pile and very willing to share if it would help. Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    ...needling someone's chest when you don't need to, not knowing when not to...good samaritan laws won't cover you for that as those are advanced skills.
    This is true. The laws were designed to protect an 'amateur' aid giver when doing reasonable things like CPR, stop bleeding, etc. Once you go breaking out the PT needles, scalpels, IV drugs, etc., 'in good faith' comes in to question if you don't have the proper training/certification required.

Feedback Score
    Agree with the general consensus here, certainly worthwhile to get some level of training. I'd recommend at least CPR and some level of basic first aid. From there I'd look at maybe a wilderness first aid type of course as that's going to give you some more practical skills accessible to a lay person in dealing with injuries when help isn't immediately available. Just not sure how practical a tactical course is if you're not going to be working or constantly in that environment.

Certainly think a skill such as tourniquet use is worthwhile to learn and it would be a part of a wilderness medicine course. Beyond that there's not much else I'd suggest doing, I certainly don't think advanced interventions such as advanced/emergency airways and needle decompression would be worthwhile, practical, or appropriate for someone not actively working in that field.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast