Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W MP10 308 or Sig 716

Feedback Score

S&W MP10 308 or Sig 716

Best wishes to all, if you had a choice between the Sig 716 patrol or SW m&p 10? For range shooting from 300 to perhaps 1000 yds as I get better and maybe hunting later on down the pike. These are the two options I have for now. I tried checking YouTube but not much info on the M&P 10. And SW forum no response. I wonder why.

Feedback Score
    As far as I am aware neither rifle has been well vetted. It sounds like you want good accuracy in a .308 rifle. With that in mind I would probably purchase a bolt action, either a Remington 700, Tikka T3, or anything well made with a free floated barrel that is within your price range.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you don't need sub-moa accuracy and don't see yourself putting more than a few thousand rounds through the gun per year, the M&P10 is a solid value.

The Sig has very little market presence or compelling reason to choose over the more proven/established brands.

ETA: moved to "Beyond 5.56/.223"
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd avoid any piston driven ARs if you are wanting that level of accuracy. For those kinds of ranges you will need a heavy barrel and some serious optics(at least 10x) if you plan on hitting man sized targets with any degree of reliability. Just remember, that kind of setup in an AR will be very heavy. At least 12lbs plus. I would go for a LaRue OBR if you insist on a AR that can do that.

If you want something lighter that can hit stuff at 1000yrds reliably, then a good bolt gun is the way to go. Semiauto .308s are best used at ranges under 500 yards in dynamic environments where movement is important.
    Insert impressive resume here.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    SIG is coming out with the "precision" model in May/June time frame. If law enforcement or military you can get it for around $2000.00. Free floated barrel. http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDe...precision.aspx

Don't believe the S&W barrel is free floated.

Feedback Score
    If you're going to go 1k+ and you're willing to go upwards of $2K then you'd be better off building out one and focusing your $$$ on the barrel and trigger. Otherwise I would wait and put in the extra cash for a GAP-10, JP LRP07, Noveske, or a Larue OBR. You might be able to pick up something used for under $3K when shit calms down market wise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Galbraith View Post
    I'd avoid any piston driven ARs if you are wanting that level of accuracy. For those kinds of ranges you will need a heavy barrel and some serious optics(at least 10x) if you plan on hitting man sized targets with any degree of reliability. Just remember, that kind of setup in an AR will be very heavy. At least 12lbs plus. I would go for a LaRue OBR if you insist on a AR that can do that.

If you want something lighter that can hit stuff at 1000yrds reliably, then a good bolt gun is the way to go. Semiauto .308s are best used at ranges under 500 yards in dynamic environments where movement is important.
    More like 15-17lbs. Your latter comment is incorrect as MANY match shooter use 308 semi-autos in matches well beyond 1K+.

Add: You're also incorrect about piston vs accuracy. Although I'm more of a DI fan, there are plenty of piston driven platforms such as POF and LWRC which are more than capable of sub-moa accuracy out to 1K+.
    Last edited by OrdnanceLocker; 05-07-13 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdnanceLocker View Post
    More like 15-17lbs. Your latter comment is incorrect as MANY match shooter use 308 semi-autos in matches well beyond 1K+.
    Agree and disagree.
    There are several semi-auto 7.62 options out there that rival bolt guns as far as precision, and several 9-10 lb semi-auto 7.62 guns turn in consistent sub-moa groups at long range.

True, it is easier to get a sub-MOA bolt gun than gas gun, but if you are willing to pay, they are out there.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Agree and disagree.
    There are several semi-auto 7.62 options out there that rival bolt guns as far as precision, and several 9-10 lb semi-auto 7.62 guns turn in consistent sub-moa groups at long range.

True, it is easier to get a sub-MOA bolt gun than gas gun, but if you are willing to pay, they are out there.
    I was referencing the OBR comment as far as weight with glass and accessories. I think my GAP-10 with glass, can, and no magazine came in around 18.6, but I also had a 22" BBL lol. I know the JP LRP07 with a 16" is around 12lb. I'm not disagreeing that a bolt would probably work better, but the comments that a 308 is basically only useful for under 500 and movement is completely erroneous as well as the piston platform accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25575MIA View Post
    These are the two options I have for now. I tried checking YouTube but not much info on the M&P 10. And SW forum no response. I wonder why.
    Remember, the S&W is a brand new gun and it has only been out a month or two. Also, with the current madness in the gun market, I would bet that S&W is probably focusing on M&P 15 production as well as M&P pistol production particularly the Shield. I would venture to guess that their are physically very few M&P 10s in circulation and that combined with limited ammunition availability is probably why you have found much information yet.

That said, I would purchase the M&P 10 any day over the SIG. SIG simply hasn't put out that many good guns over the last few years. In addition, S&W has great customer service and if you do have problems S&W will make it right. Finally, the S&W is lighter than the SIG and less expensive as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast