Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How I came to buy my SIG716 ???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Eeewww. Gross.

The DPMS 308 AR platform imo should be avoided at all costs. That little stupid buffer is a deal breaker imo. We saw horrible bolt bounce and cyclic rates with those under highspeed camera, absolute ****ing garbage.
    I have nearly 1500 rounds through my LR-308, and only issues were when trying brown bear 762 metal ammo. All 308, win, fed, hornady is no prob. BCG and internals of my upper look normal. (not as slick as my lwrc, but...) but what should one look for as far as issues?

Hak

Feedback Score
    Inconsistency with QC was a big problem for many LR308s. Aside from the basic lack of build/parts quality inherent to DPMS rifles (another discussion in itself), you'd have one LR308 doing 1" groups while another could barely hold 2" groups, all else being equal.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 01-13-13 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikele View Post
    Skip,

What was your final price if you don't mind me asking?
    I paid, what I knew was a little much for it, at $2000. But it was a FDE, right in front of me, so I sprung. Fast foward to today, and it seems like a pretty good deal. At the time, the Scar 17 they had in stock was about $800 more (IIRC), and the Reper(sp?) was about $1400 more than the Sig. Not comparing the rifles, just the price. I'm a poor boy, so the Sig was my obvious choice.

Skip

Feedback Score
    Hindsight being 20/20 and after going to this weekends gun show. I am so glad I pick this baby up when I did.

I am also glad I ordered the mags for it when I did too. I searched the web for the best deal and ended up ordering from CTD. I ordered six (6) then a few days later got an email that the mags were backordered and my order had been cancelled

So back on the web I went and found another source and ordered six (6) more. Then all 12 ended up shipping to my door step

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Door Kicker View Post
    Hindsight being 20/20 and after going to this weekends gun show. I am so glad I pick this baby up when I did.

I am also glad I ordered the mags for it when I did too. I searched the web for the best deal and ended up ordering from CTD. I ordered six (6) then a few days later got an email that the mags were backordered and my order had been cancelled

So back on the web I went and found another source and ordered six (6) more. Then all 12 ended up shipping to my door step
    Lucky! I bought three extra mags at the show when I bought my 716 for a total of 4. I had decided back in the summer I was going to get a 308 platform that accepted 308 Pmags and started to get a few mags then before I made my purchase. I hope this madness passes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Inconsistency with QC was a big problem for many LR308s. Aside from the basic lack of build/parts quality inherent to DPMS rifles (another discussion in itself), you'd have one LR308 doing 1" groups while another could barely hold 2" groups, all else being equal.
    This must be the case. Because I am a LMT MWS owner, and I have had the lucky pleasure of also putting many 308 rounds through a LaRue, the new Colt, and a Scar (I have yet to get to play with the fabled GAP10).

I am embarrassed to make this admission:

The best grouping 308 AR I have shot is a DPMS LR308 with a factory bbl.

I have no idea why, but this thing was a shooter. Aftermarket trigger, stock, and handguard was all the mods done, and we were shooting 3/4 inch groups with a consistency(3 groups under 1/2") I have never been able to achieve before. No mystery fliers in 8 5-shot groups it was ridiculous, and I am just an amateur hobby shooter. I bought one before the panic just cuz it was so cheap I could not justify leaving it on the shelf, and I figured another 308 couldn't hurt. A friend had bragged on this gun before, so I called him out thinking he was FOS. All I can say is damn. I still have not shot mine as I am waiting on parts but here's to hoping I got a decent one, and I still like my LMT more!

Feedback Score
    I purchased my 716 FDE off the shelf, in northern Indiana, the day after Christmas. I paid just a few bucks over $2000 OTD. Just dumb ass luck it was on the shelf.
    40 rounds through it. Definitely break down, clean and relube the 716 before your first outing. I had a few jams the first several rounds. After the cleaning.... no problems... and that's using the crap ammo listed below.

I just scored a great deal on a Leupold MK4 MR/T 2.5-8 x 36mm, M1, Illum-TMR scope. Last one at Gander Mountain in Peoria, IL, $638 out the door!

I did pay $65 for two Pmag's for the 716. Last two at Gander Mountain!

I did make some OK buys on ammo considering the current marketplace. It's not great ammo, but it is ammo none the less!

300rds at $0.60 per (OFV 97 7.62 STD - surplus)
    600rds at $0.30 per ( OFV 96 7.62 M80 - surplus) (thanks to my buddy Dave)
    150rds at $0.74 per (CBC 7.62 Ball M80 - new)

By the way... Hi everyone! I'm Griff. My first Sig product and first post!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Who makes the back up sights for this rifle? are they made by SIG?

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Who makes the back up sights for this rifle? are they made by SIG?
    They look like Troy or MI to me but not sure could be SIG?

Feedback Score
    Sight are made buy MI.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123