Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a CPAP

Feedback Score
    I should have been diagnosed in the Army. I did not know any better.

My fingernails stopped growing and I could not feel my arms in the morning. I started gaining weight and was so fatigued all the time. My short drive home at the end of the day was almost too much and I often thought I would not make it.

The first time with the CPAP, I has dreams. I forgotten that I stopped dreaming. Waking 44 times an hour meant I did not really sleep.

The CPAP changed everything. Now, my finger nails grow quickly and I have lot of energy. I walk up eager to face the day.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Some people don't think that it's serious. I know what you mean by being tired and the drive home. I used to pump myself up with coffe, monster, etc... and then 5 hour energy. The first night I used the CPAP I went to sleep and didn't wake up until 12 hours later!

During the consultation I learned how serious sleep apnea can be and its' affects on the heart.

I urge anyone who has a problem to seriously look at getting some help.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    I should have been diagnosed in the Army. I did not know any better.

My fingernails stopped growing and I could not feel my arms in the morning. I started gaining weight and was so fatigued all the time. My short drive home at the end of the day was almost too much and I often thought I would not make it.

The first time with the CPAP, I has dreams. I forgotten that I stopped dreaming. Waking 44 times an hour meant I did not really sleep.

The CPAP changed everything. Now, my finger nails grow quickly and I have lot of energy. I walk up eager to face the day.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cool

once folks get acclimated to the cpap - they LOVE them. it takes a few few weeks. depending on the pressure setting used, you get used to it.

don't wait, get your sleep studies done.

you spend about 1/3 of your life asleep - the quality of that time is very important to your health.

folks with sleep apnea are more likely to suffer heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes later in life.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I heard sleep apnea is worth disability too?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    I heard sleep apnea is worth disability too?
    Based on sleep apnea, a coworker of mine rated 40% disability when he retired from the air force. The way it works is that 40% of his pension is not subject to federal income tax. He is not paid more; he is just taxed less.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This thread has greatly picqued my interest. I've read a little about sleep apnea, but I don't really know if I'm a candidate or not. Maybe you guys can help.

As I've gotten older (nearly 40), my wife says I snore ferociously. I've seen an increase in body fat over the past few years and I find it harder, and harder to run for any distance. I'm an active weightlifter most of the year and the problem seems to be worse during heavy lifting cycles. I feel like I've been beaten with an axe handle most mornings and I stay exhausted.

What say you Brethren?

Is it time for a study?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineteenkilo View Post
    This thread has greatly picqued my interest. I've read a little about sleep apnea, but I don't really know if I'm a candidate or not. Maybe you guys can help.

As I've gotten older (nearly 40), my wife says I snore ferociously. I've seen an increase in body fat over the past few years and I find it harder, and harder to run for any distance. I'm an active weightlifter most of the year and the problem seems to be worse during heavy lifting cycles. I feel like I've been beaten with an axe handle most mornings and I stay exhausted.

What say you Brethren?

Is it time for a study?
    Ask your wife if she ever noticed your breathing stop in the middle of the night.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I've been using a CPAP for several months now. I do carry some extra weight, but my snoring is mainly due to facial structure and anatomy of the soft palate and uvula. When I can't use the CPAP I use dental devices such as the Pure Sleep. I find that the dental devices reduce, but does not eliminate snoring for me. Still better than nothing. How do you know if you're a candidate? First, people you sleep with will complain! haha Also, fatigue/drowsiness during the day, soreness in the back of the throat when you wake up in the morning, you may actually hear yourself snoring while you're asleep, you're suddenly awakened in the middle of the night and you're not sure why. My family has a history of cardiovascular disease and I have high cholesterol. With sleep apnea, the risk level is elevated significantly.

See your doctor. Get the sleep study. A CPAP is not sexy and people may look at you weird when they find out you use one, but it's way better than putting yourself at risk and feeling like garbage everyday.

What say you Brethren?

Is it time for a study?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like I need to take the plunge. I'll follow up when I know something. Thanks gents.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like I need to take the plunge. I'll follow up when I know something. Thanks gents.
    Prepared to be "wired for sound" during the study. You'll wear sensors for measuring your brain activity, heart rate, leg movement, chest/respiratory and pulse ox. I had a lot of trouble going to sleep in a strange place and being wired up like a sound board and was given Ambien to knock me out. If that have to give you something it's not a problem because it won't adversely affect the study.
    Last edited by Hersh; 11-20-12 at 17:24.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast