Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig or Battle Belt?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    115 (100%)

Chest Rig or Battle Belt?

Moving away from a plate carrier. As a civi I haven't a need for armor. A search didn't yield what I was looking for specifically.

I'm looking into chest rigs and battle belts. I'm using this strictly for my AR. 30 rd pmags is all I use.

My intended use is shooting, and a "grab and go" for a shtf, natural disaster type of situation.

I carry a standard loadout of 6 mags + 1 in the rifle. So I would like it all contained on this rig. Other items considered are an IFAK, dump pouch, plus a few other smaller pouches.

Hydration was a concern at first, but I do have a separate camel pack if need be.

I like this as a battle belt:

http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-SGPB&cat=18

This coupled with a couple of their TACO mags, and maybe a flapped pouch for reserve. Then spread my gear about the rest of the belt. I like how the mag pouches would be down low and easier for me to grab during mag changes. Suspenders could be added for support.

If I were to jump on the chest rig band wagon I would go for one like this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-0...ness-s/124.htm

What I like about the BCM rig is the integration of a hydration system. And it seems like it'll hold all my stuff. Bad..... is the mags being kept up high? Better suited for a vehicle.

I'm a little stuck, my budget is around $150ish -$200. Mags and all. Hoping to attain all of this used to keep cost down.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RMiller; 11-19-12 at 01:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm running the HSGI belt with two pistol Tacos,two AR tacos, dump pounch, IFAK, and then a pistol holster. I honestly can't think of any situation I'd be called upon to need more than my 49 rounds of pistol ammo and my 90 rounds of rifle ammo. I hang the belt beside the bed, next to my rifle, with the pistol in the holster. It makes for a fast grab and go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    If I were to jump on the chest rig band wagon I would go for one like this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-0...ness-s/124.htm

What I like about the BCM rig is the integration of a hydration system. And it seems like it'll hold all my stuff. Bad..... is the mags being kept up high? Better suited for a vehicle.
    Those BCM rigs have been out of stock for ages. Does anyone have any info on when/if these will be available again?

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm running the HSGI belt with two pistol Tacos,two AR tacos, dump pounch, IFAK, and then a pistol holster. I honestly can't think of any situation I'd be called upon to need more than my 49 rounds of pistol ammo and my 90 rounds of rifle ammo. I hang the belt beside the bed, next to my rifle, with the pistol in the holster. It makes for a fast grab and go.
    The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards a battle belt. Mainly because I could just roll it up and stash it, and probably more easily unroll it when needed. A question for you AKDoug, do you find a need for the suspenders, or is the grip material enough to keep it in place?

Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    Those BCM rigs have been out of stock for ages. Does anyone have any info on when/if these will be available again?
    They are hard to find new, but I've seen a few floating around on here for sale.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards a battle belt. Mainly because I could just roll it up and stash it, and probably more easily unroll it when needed.
    maybe we're thinking about two different things but my "battle belt" can't be rolled up. to me, a battle belt is a "first line" - everything I need to carry the fight with a carbine and it's a pretty bulky deal all set up with pistol, 2 AR and 3 pistol mags, small fixed blade knife, IFAK, 3x5 general purpose pouch, cool tool, and spare light.

I have run carbine/pistol classes with just this and no chest rig and it works great. or at home, I keep it buckled and slung over the top of the closet door and as Doug says, this can be just thrown over a shoulder like a bandoleer and I have everything I need instantly for a bump in the night.

a lot of people are recommending a lighter belt setup with a CCW-flavor and I see the benefit of that. I have a duty belt set up like this with just a holster, 1 AR mag, 2 pistol mags, and mini IFAK paired with a light chest rig for a more concealable option. if you need, add a third line/pack for additional ammo, water, and sustainment supplies.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    May be a dumb question but can a battle belt be tossed on, buckled, and be secure on your person? I have a chest rig because I always figured that if I hear a bump in the night, and toss on a battle belt, it would be sliding and flopping everywhere. While with a chest rig, I can toss it on reasonably quickly, buckle up, and it'll be moderately secure even if I'm in my pj's.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    maybe we're thinking about two different things but my "battle belt" can't be rolled up. to me, a battle belt is a "first line" - everything I need to carry the fight with a carbine and it's a pretty bulky deal all set up with pistol, 2 AR and 3 pistol mags, small fixed blade knife, IFAK, 3x5 general purpose pouch, cool tool, and spare light.

I have run carbine/pistol classes with just this and no chest rig and it works great. or at home, I keep it buckled and slung over the top of the closet door and as Doug says, this can be just thrown over a shoulder like a bandoleer and I have everything I need instantly for a bump in the night.

a lot of people are recommending a lighter belt setup with a CCW-flavor and I see the benefit of that. I have a duty belt set up like this with just a holster, 1 AR mag, 2 pistol mags, and mini IFAK paired with a light chest rig for a more concealable option. if you need, add a third line/pack for additional ammo, water, and sustainment supplies.
    Ha, no. I guess it was a figure of speach....lol

But I really like the idea of a quick "bandolier" when need, and around my waist when at the range.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a HSGI belt set up for training & classes that I love, they make great stuff. I do like the grab bag for a situation where you may be in public, Maxpeditions Gearslinger series is what I am thinking, not sure which size I will get yet. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think what many have said on this subject is spot on. I think a majority of "shtf" situations would be best served with a ccw approach and the very slim chance you do need to go big why not run the full plate carrier?

Feedback Score
    The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards a battle belt. Mainly because I could just roll it up and stash it, and probably more easily unroll it when needed. A question for you AKDoug, do you find a need for the suspenders, or is the grip material enough to keep it in place?
    I like suspenders. Great for support.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast