Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig or Battle Belt?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    May be a dumb question but can a battle belt be tossed on, buckled, and be secure on your person? I have a chest rig because I always figured that if I hear a bump in the night, and toss on a battle belt, it would be sliding and flopping everywhere. While with a chest rig, I can toss it on reasonably quickly, buckle up, and it'll be moderately secure even if I'm in my pj's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post
    May be a dumb question but can a battle belt be tossed on, buckled, and be secure on your person? I have a chest rig because I always figured that if I hear a bump in the night, and toss on a battle belt, it would be sliding and flopping everywhere. While with a chest rig, I can toss it on reasonably quickly, buckle up, and it'll be moderately secure even if I'm in my pj's.
    Wait... If you hear a bump in the night, you throw on your chest rig???
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    You don't? I'm pretty sure 90% of the non mil/leo people on these boards have chest rigs for this reason. It's more likely than some zombie doomsday scenario.

Feedback Score
    For the first time ever, my wife heard the proverbial "bump in the night" last night. Said bump ended up being nothing (as far as I could tell). This is the first time I've ever had to employ my bedside pistol and light.

As I was checking the house, I realized this very shortcoming inherent in my current setup: no "pajama rig". If I would need to holster my weapon, light, or cell phone, I would be out of luck. So at approximately 0200 last night, my exact thought was: I need a chest rig for this purpose. It only makes sense.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    maybe we're thinking about two different things but my "battle belt" can't be rolled up. to me, a battle belt is a "first line" - everything I need to carry the fight with a carbine and it's a pretty bulky deal all set up with pistol, 2 AR and 3 pistol mags, small fixed blade knife, IFAK, 3x5 general purpose pouch, cool tool, and spare light.

I have run carbine/pistol classes with just this and no chest rig and it works great. or at home, I keep it buckled and slung over the top of the closet door and as Doug says, this can be just thrown over a shoulder like a bandoleer and I have everything I need instantly for a bump in the night.

a lot of people are recommending a lighter belt setup with a CCW-flavor and I see the benefit of that. I have a duty belt set up like this with just a holster, 1 AR mag, 2 pistol mags, and mini IFAK paired with a light chest rig for a more concealable option. if you need, add a third line/pack for additional ammo, water, and sustainment supplies.
    Ha, no. I guess it was a figure of speach....lol

But I really like the idea of a quick "bandolier" when need, and around my waist when at the range.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannichine View Post
    For the first time ever, my wife heard the proverbial "bump in the night" last night. Said bump ended up being nothing (as far as I could tell). This is the first time I've ever had to employ my bedside pistol and light.

As I was checking the house, I realized this very shortcoming inherent in my current setup: no "pajama rig". If I would need to holster my weapon, light, or cell phone, I would be out of luck. So at approximately 0200 last night, my exact thought was: I need a chest rig for this purpose. It only makes sense.
    Pajamas with pockets also work for your light and phone.

And no, if I hear a bump in the night, I do not throw on a chest rig. I'd be more likely to throw on electronic hearing protection than combat gear if I was anticipating having to use a firearm
    Last edited by Koshinn; 11-20-12 at 14:40.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Here are my thoughts:

first line: Daily CCW belt. It can be done up down but a fuller load out would be:
    -Pistol
    - Double mag pouch
    -Flashlight
    -knife

As far as SHTF goes, agree that in most cases you wont be rocking full battle gear. Also I am of the opinion either you are going low pro with nothing but the belt stated above, or you are holding a rifle. If you are not holding your rifle, why are you holding AR mags.

second line. Low profile chest rig. Something I can put on and throw a vest/light jacket on and wont be noticed. 3-6 single stacked mags and a small blow out/IFAK kit.

That's it. Anything else I need would be in a pack.

Havent gotten to armor yet, but i would probably have 1st and snd line oft hat as well eventually. 1st line concealable soft armor....2nd line plate carrier.
    Last edited by Amur; 11-20-12 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Pajamas with pockets also work for your light and phone.

And no, if I hear a bump in the night, I do not throw on a chest rig. I'd be more likely to throw on electronic hearing protection than combat gear if I was anticipating having to use a firearm
    When it comes to a situation where I have to potentially use a firearm, I will use every possible advantage I can have. Is having a rig with all the necessities to maximize your chances of survival that absurd sounding? If you got time to put on ear pro, you've got time to toss on chest rig.

99.5% of police officers will never have to fire their service weapon in the field or be in a shootout. Yet for some reason, they carry 2 extra mags and wear cumbersome body armor in the EXTREMELY RARE chance of being put in a life and death situation.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post
    When it comes to a situation where I have to potentially use a firearm, I will use every possible advantage I can have. Is having a rig with all the necessities to maximize your chances of survival that absurd sounding? If you got time to put on ear pro, you've got time to toss on chest rig.

99.5% of police officers will never have to fire their service weapon in the field or be in a shootout. Yet for some reason, they carry 2 extra mags and wear cumbersome body armor in the EXTREMELY RARE chance of being put in a life and death situation.
    If you've got time to throw on a chest rig in the dark, you've got time to put on real pants with pockets. That way when it's cops, instead of looking like a threat, you have pants on.

It's just a bump in the night, it's not your door being kicked down and shots fired in the next room...
    Last edited by Koshinn; 11-20-12 at 17:34.

Feedback Score
    I think everyone needs to step back and realize that we all live in different situations. You may live in a urban area where LEO response is measured in minutes to rural where it may take 30 minutes to an hour. When you take into account all those different scenarios and real life problems, one man's load out is very much different from the next guy's.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast