Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some opinions.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    People act like this is a big deal...then they will turn around and buy the Springfield 1911s with that lock built into the mainspring housing. Hello...it is no more difficult to disable the Swartz than to swap out the Springer locking device.
    While I know it is common for gunsmiths to swap out the Springfield ILS MSH when working on Springfields, I do not know of any problems linked to the ILS itself.

I suppose on the subject, it might also be pointed out that most Kimbers ship with plastic MSHs... a big no-no in Yam's book, as I recall.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    While I know it is common for gunsmiths to swap out the Springfield ILS MSH when working on Springfields, I do not know of any problems linked to the ILS itself.

I suppose on the subject, it might also be pointed out that most Kimbers ship with plastic MSHs... a big no-no in Yam's book, as I recall.
    Colt's have a plastic MSH too.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    Colt's have a plastic MSH too.
    You know what else a Colt has?

Quality control/assurance.

That's something a Kimber does not have.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 11-25-12 at 23:21.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score

Loaded is a pretty good pistol

I have shot a loaded, MC Operator and currently own a non-railed TRP.

The one I handled had night sights and a parkerized finish.

I don't have any experience with S&W 1911's.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'd save/spend more and get a TRP over the loaded. That said, I'd take the loaded and remove ils for s true "70" style gun with no EE.

You can then send it to sacs when funds permit and ala cart it however you want.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I bought a new SW1911 back in 2008. It's my first and only 1911 and 45 ACP. I got the base full size stainless model. We've shot about 2000 rounds through it. It's been a great pistol. It shoots any ammo I've shot through it with no issues. My carry ammo is Federal HST 230 gr. I really like it. I'd buy another one.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    I've got 2 loadeds, a stainless and a parkerized one. Both are great. Stainless is duty pistol as it is carried openly. Parked for off-duty, less likely to "flash" if exposed. Wilson mags for both, duty load Fed HST +P 230(thus far has worked great for us). Having the stainless slide duracoated just because I like the two tone look.
    All in all, Springfield has been great for me....

Feedback Score
    The E series seems to be doing pretty good. However, it is a proprietary set up and I don't know of many pistol smiths that are specializing in them. Hilton Yam seems to like them and that means a lot in my book. A good friend of mine that works with a govt. agency recently bought one and really likes it. I have yet to shoot it. He did make a few minor parts changes recently so I am not sure how much he has shot it. The SA Loaded are hit or miss. I have had several. If you are able to hand pick one, get one with the slide and frame match up nice. Everything else is easily remedied such as a rough trigger or other nuisance. I think both companies are better than Colt from a customer service standpoint, as I have experience with all three in that. The SA was the best, Smith and Wesson pretty close, and Colt, well, I will work on my own Colt before I send it to them anytime soon as I will be on SS in 20 years and would like to see my pistol back in my hands before then That being said, Colt does produce a nice out of the box 1911 in the Combat Elite or XSE series. The series 80 safety doesn't bother me in the least bit and if it does, cost about 20 bucks to put a couple of fillers in to remove it. I have two Combat Elites, a Baer, and a Loaded currently.

Last edited by eng208; 11-29-12 at 06:21.

Feedback Score
    I would read the reviews on the E-series a bit more before deciding. Maybe they've improved from the last time that ive read around, who knows.

Imo the springer is a more solid choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12