Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk Custom Customer Service

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STS View Post
    Forgot to ask if the slide was cast or forged?
    I don't believe that there are any serious 1911 makers using cast slides. Most are made from forgings or bar stock including all of the manufacturers being discussed here.

Thumb safety breakage isn't very common but when it happens, it's usually at the joint where the pin meets the body of the safety (on standard, non-ambi versions). Either they break like the one shown in the above photo or the pin shears off at the joint.

My contacts at Nighthawk and Wilson work very hard to take care of their customers and build the best guns possible. They are also constantly trying to develop better parts for their pistols to help reduce breakage.

I'm glad to hear that Nighthawk took care of you.

Feedback Score
    I love these high round count reviews. Thanks for taking the time to post your experience with NH.

During the ordering and waiting process for a NH predator, my rep took very good care of me, answering questions and changing things on the gun whenever I had a concern.

On the Springfield front, I am waiting for a Pro. So far I have had a great time communicating with their customer service. I get emails back within the day, and the phone gets answered when I call. Not much more I can ask for imo.

Joel
    We get it, you're a HSLD operator who knows what's what and wants everyone else to know that you know that we know that you know what's up. ~ elricfate

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    I don't believe that there are any serious 1911 makers using cast slides. Most are made from forgings or bar stock including all of the manufacturers being discussed here.

Thumb safety breakage isn't very common but when it happens, it's usually at the joint where the pin meets the body of the safety (on standard, non-ambi versions). Either they break like the one shown in the above photo or the pin shears off at the joint.

My contacts at Nighthawk and Wilson work very hard to take care of their customers and build the best guns possible. They are also constantly trying to develop better parts for their pistols to help reduce breakage.

I'm glad to hear that Nighthawk took care of you.
    Seen and experienced a few slide release levers break, never seen thumb safety snap like that.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Seen and experienced a few slide release levers break, never seen thumb safety snap like that.
    alot of torque gets transferred through that part, ESPECIALLY when shooting one handed
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    STS - I don't remember if it was a forged or cast slide.. sorry.

Some other issues from Springfield (to include the Pro) was no bevel to the top of the back edge of the guide rod. This will peen the barrel lugs on the 1911 and cause undue stress to the lugs. It will also restrict movement of the link. I had to take a file to every Springfield we have ever gotten to correct this. It took me about the 1st year of working with 1911's and several phone calls and emails with Tim Lau before I got the issue worked out. I watch the barrel lugs on the original guns closely but to date none have cracked.
    Great write up and I thank you.

Would it be possible for you to post before and after pix of where you filed the guide rod, or perhaps a picture of the finished guide rod showing where you had to file?

Thanks

Mike

Feedback Score

Nighthawk customer service

It is great to hear another positive customer service experience, as normally all one hears are negatives. I am on the fence between a GRP or a Wilson Combat model with similar features. I had a GREAT customer service experience with Nighthawk when I was first entering the police field. I called Nighthawk and talked with one of their gunsmiths. I asked what production 1911 they preferred working on in order to make a good purchase for my service pistol. At the time, I could in no way afford a Nighthawk. He led me down the right path. I sent the production pistol to them for a reliability package soon after. The turnaround was very fast (priority as it was my service pistol) and the results amazing! I have a very accurate 1911 with which I have had no malfunctions (and it gets shot.......ALOT).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    MikeM,

Thanks for the thread and pics. Great info all around.

What realistically in your opinion could one expect the useful "life" of a 1911 to last round count wise ?

Seeing your NH go 30K+ is very impressive IMO. How much more life do you expect out of the frame ?

Thanks.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    mbsigman-

I don't have any pictures of the before and I don't have any guide rods to take one. Here is a picture of the after. If you look at the hole in the center of the guide rod and the angled portion that extends towards the top is the area I have filed.

Side view

The one in the picture is pretty beat up but it is from my Springfield and has about 27K rounds down range.

I will file a bit and then test fit. When you hold the rod against the bottom of the barrel (as it would sit inside the gun) you can see where it makes contact with the lower lugs. The top portion of the guide rod should slide all the way back to where the lugs meet the bottom of the barrel without contacting the lugs further down.

I hope that makes sense. If not let me know and I can try to put up some more pictures.

Slvr Surfr - realistically I have no idea. This is my first 1911 over 30K rounds. The whole thing has been a learning process for me. I know a couple people who insist that 50K is about as far as you can reasonably take a 1911 shooting full power loads but as you can see the Nighthawk didn't make it that far to start. Now that is rebuilt I would expect at least another 30K.

The frame is in great shape and even the old slide to frame fit was very tight. We will see if the frame will last another 30K. Railed guns will usually crack in front of the triggerguard but the frame on the Nighthawk Recons are much beefier there than the Springfields.

Feedback Score
    Well I took the Nighthawk to the range today and have to say I was not disappointed in the gun. I put about 150 rounds through it and had only one hang up. It was in the first 20 rounds and the round hung up about 1/4" out of battery. Not sure if it was an ammo issue (think a burr on the brass trying to get under the extractor) or if the extractor was a bit tight. I had no issues after that.

Accuracy was excellent. Not a surprise as this is what I expect from Nighthawk.

Here are a couple targets.
    9 rounds at 10 yards.

25 rounds at 25 yards

and 35 rounds at 30 yards (as far as I could go on that range)

A couple other notes. I have noticed 2 distinct things that Nighthawk did on this gun that are different from my last.

First is the firing pin stop. It is only slightly bevelled at the bottom rather than being rounded over like they usually are.

Second is the lugs under the barrel around the link. The profile of the lugs is different and it keeps the barrel locked longer immediately after firing.

These 2 changes make a huge difference in the handling of this gun! Another one out of the park for Nighthawk as this is the softest shooting 1911 I have ever fired.

Feedback Score
    I'm just curious, but what do you believe caused the slide to crack where it did? Should this be something to watch out for on all 1911's?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast