Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk Custom Customer Service

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Markm,

Thanks again for the follow up. Keep us updated please.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    very good write ups and info, esp from MarkM.. I have a GRP recon (low 00200's serial#)and while it has a very low rnd count as of now (1200) it seems a little more slick every time I shoot it. sometimes I'll find myself working the slide back & forth... feels like its on ball bearings or ..well.. rails..
    a friend here in North Alabama shoots for NHC(IDPA .45 Alabama state winner for like the last 5 years) and has been to their head quarters many times. everytime I ask about NHC he just smiles and says, "ain't nothing else like'em"
    I'm proud to own one and hope for many years of service from this firearm.
    Last edited by patyancey; 11-27-12 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    I'm still curious as to why the slide cracked. I understand this can happen on any gun, but when it's a $3500 gun at around 30,000 rounds, that still worries me. Especially when there's another thread below this one that describes a Wilson Combat that's gone 100,000 rounds with no cracks.

Feedback Score
    Mr Mikem,

Thank you for posting the pix and for the explanation.

Mike

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Kind of disheartening to see that on a nighthawk, but glad to see they took care of it. Personally going to probably stick with wilson even though I'm betting this is a pretty rare happening.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ruchik View Post
    I'm still curious as to why the slide cracked. I understand this can happen on any gun, but when it's a $3500 gun at around 30,000 rounds, that still worries me. Especially when there's another thread below this one that describes a Wilson Combat that's gone 100,000 rounds with no cracks.

There aren't many people that will shoot anywhere close to 30k through a single firearm, let alone afford to do it.

What I liked about this writeup is the details, op keeps a spreadsheet and has documentation of when and where things broke. IIRC I dont remember any such info on the 100k wilson. I might be wrong, but he just states he made it to 100k. Ill have to look up that thread again to be sure.

Anyways 30k is impressive to me, and so was the way their customer service made things right.
    We get it, you're a HSLD operator who knows what's what and wants everyone else to know that you know that we know that you know what's up. ~ elricfate

Feedback Score
    I am not an engineer but looking at the slide and where it cracked makes me believe it has something to do with concentrated stress where the fully enclosed part of the slide stops. When you combine this with the location of the front serrations you have an area that takes a lot of concentrated force. If you look at Wilson's use of front serrations they end further forward on the slide. About 1/8-1/4" further forward makes it so it does not coincide with the end of the enclosed bottom of the slide. If you look back to my original pictures you can see the cracks originate right by the junction of the serration and the end of the recoil spring enclosure.

Wilson slide and serrations - look at where the serrations end in comparison to the end of the enclosed bottom of the slide.

Nighthawk. This isn't a great picture but I can't photograph mine right now. Look how the crack goes right from the corner of the serration to the enclosed bottom of the slide.

What is the cure... no idea, different hardness of the metal or serrations that either end slightly further forward on the slide or do not go all the way to the bottom of the slide.

Like I said I am not an engineer but I do spend a lot of time working with cars. Car/engine parts will always fail first where there is a stress riser, especially a sharp edge. This is why I think having the serrations end where they do plays some part.
    Last edited by mikem; 12-05-12 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    Amazing write up.

Feedback Score
    Upon further research, it seems you are absolutely right, mikem. Many cracked slides, if not all, originate just behind front cocking serrations. Another reason I do not want them on any of my guns.

Feedback Score
    I've been shooting 1911s and have been on 1911 forums for years, and this has been one of the most informative and productive threads I've ever seen.

I thank everyone who has taken the time to post. Terrific information.

Mike

PS Congratulations to Nighthawk for DOING CUSTOMER SERVICE RIGHT!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast