Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 "Wiley Clapp" 357 Magnum Revolver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teutonicpolymer View Post
    Yes I am fully aware

In my mind it goes Old S&W > Any Ruger (without internal lock) > Current S&W

I refuse to buy one of the internal lock S&W's, I think they are overpriced and just plain inferior quality compared to the older ones
    Having had outstanding reliability from several lock/mim S&W's, and having had plenty of pre lock/pre mim ones, I have to disagree. But it's cool, rock on with what makes you happy.

FTR I disable the lock on every revolver that I have ever had with it.

Feedback Score
    My 4.2" SS GP100 has long been my favorite revolver.

As for the comments regarding Safariland holsters, that's what I use with my GP100, and they fit like a glove together.

I've trekked miles and miles through woods and mountains with that combo countless times. Comfortable, secure, and smooth to operate.

Feedback Score
    I liked mine enough that I tracked down a second one for my son. He would put me in the poor house shooting mine. I like that Silent Thunder holster, I have been looking for the right holster that one looks just about perfect.

Mine are SS, I like the blued and the brass bead is nice. I need to hunt one of those down.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a Blued 3" GP100 TALO/WC a couple of months ago. I found one on Va Gun Trader and had it shipped to my LGS, all included $700 (price, tax, shipping and transfer)
    My initial impression was BANK VAULT... I have been shooting "modern" revolvers for over 30 years (nearly exclusively S&W), this is my first GP100. Lockup and timing are great. The sight picture is an order of magnitude better than that of any of my K frames ever were (51 year old eyes). Cases from the cylinders did stick a little at first, seems I have worn them in as all cases drop free know. The grips are huge, as everyone else, I am keeping an eye peeled for a compact set. I did try a set Pachymaer Gripper grips, they are ok. So far I have shot about 300 rounds of 38spl and close to 200 rounds of 357 magnum. WWB 38Spl is a pure joy to shoot, Blazer Brass 158 grn SWC and JHP 357 magnum is not uncomrfortable to shoot at all. The sights are setup for 158 grn 357 magnum at 25 yards. Still need to try it with BB 180grn HCGCFP rounds. The trigger is very smooth and crisp, it is also of what I consider managable service weight. Was very nice out of the box, cleaned an lubed with FireClean, it got even smoother with a little dry firing. Very easy to stage the trigger firing double action.
    The only weakness so far is the finish and disassembly. I have a prawl line already, but so do all revolvers and starting to see holster wear. Thousands of dry firing rounds and hundreds of practice draws have contributed to this finish wear. I have yeat to be able to completely disassemble. I cannot get the grip fram to release even after reading the directions, videos and trying different tools to depress the spring. For holsters, local kydex guy and a local leather holster maker both hooked me up. Heavy but carries well, OWB 3-4 o'clock on a PROPER leather gun belt. I did a local action match with in the kydex holster. 5 stages and I was happy with the revovler. The brass bead is quick and easy to pick up for fast shots. I could stage my shots when I needed to make the precise hits. Reloaded from HKS 686 speedloaders....I need more practice.
    Great revolver, absoluletly trust it for HD, open carry and concealed carry not a problem with a good holster and proper gun belt. I am 5'9", 230 and carry about 4 o,clock in a leather pancake style holster (local guy) and Bianchi leather gun belt. An untucked dress or work shirt covers nicely. Great revolver for an average joe like me.
    Thanks for all the previous posts. Hope my observations help.

Feedback Score
    Disassembly can be tricky in knowing how much force to apply. It is pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it. I haven't cracked open a gp100 in almost a year but I remember that I needed a tool for leverage to remove certain parts.

I am interested in seeing a picture of your belt setup if you don't mind sharing, it sounds like it looks great

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Just picked up a 3in Stainless GP100. I'm in love with it so far. Going fly fishing in Montana next week and wanted something with a bit more ass than my 9mm. Going to pick up some Buffalo Boar 180g Hard Cast bullets from Cabelas today. The .357 was a compromise for sure but I can conceal carry it when I'm offer the river unlike a 5.5 .44 Redhawk. Now to just find a good holster and some smaller grips (it came with hogue overmolds).

Feedback Score
    Bought a NIB WC GP100 SS recently. My biggest question/concern before buying this gun was how would the matte finish hold up and clean up. However, after 200 rounds the WC's matte surface took on a smoky tint that would not come off. I tried CLP Breakfree, Hoppes No.9, EEZOX, Outers Nitro - none of these cleaners removed all the powder residue. Then I tried Flitz polish. I had pick up a free sample at the Blade Show. It instantly removed the residue with just light pressure applied and the finish now looks like new again. Flitz is advertised to be nonabrasive, and it did not alter the matte sheen. I rubbed in on then off before it dried so it did not leave a white film like dried car wax. I've also found Flitz to be great for cleaning up knife blades, especially black DLC coated blades like my Spyderco Para Military 2. Hope this helps others trying to quickly clean their matte SS surfaces. I wonder how Flitz would work on a black WC gun?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Im picking up a 4 inch stainless or the wiley clapp next. I love the size of the 3 inch and the sights. But something about that 4 inch full underlug and with the bright stainless is just sexy. I wish the wc came in standard finish. I understand the matte finish for carry but this is just going to be a farm/range/back country dog walker. Has anyone gave the same wc a polished finish?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is 1 known factory polished WC. It was a "how can we fix this situation" for a customer.

If you like 4" tubes and the Novak sights look at the Match Champion.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    There is 1 known factory polished WC. It was a "how can we fix this situation" for a customer.

If you like 4" tubes and the Novak sights look at the Match Champion.
    I am a huge fan of the full underlug. If the match champion had it I would be like flies on a hog.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast