Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleece vs. insulated loft jackets

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Fleece vs. insulated loft jackets

I seem to be seeing more use of insulated jackets (feathers/down or synthetic loft) and less emphesis on fleece. What is the best use for each, and which situations are each best used for?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Coreloft/PrimaLoft are lighter and easier to pack. Fleece is often cheaper, and sometimes warmer.

I live in Alaska, and my winter jacket is an Arcteryx Beta AR shell with either an Atom LT Hoodie or Apache Fleece. The Fleece is warmer, but the Atom LT is lighter and more convenient. When I'm predator hunting, or doing anything at -20 to -40, I wear all three at the same time and I still freeze my ass off.

Down is only good for extreme cold IMO. It's terribly expensive, and if it gets wet it's ****ed.
    Last edited by F-Trooper05; 11-22-12 at 14:49.
    "Remember, if it doesn't violate the BYU Honor Code, it's not worth doing"
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Arcteryx atom is nice cause it packs down so well...i have the half zip version and its pretty warm for what it is.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    Some generalizations I've noticed in the COTS market:

Synthetic/Down:
    - Greater capacity to insulate
    - Increased compact-ability
    - Lighter weight (due to exterior fabric)
    - Exterior tends to snag and tear more easily (couple of brands/products are an exception to this)
    - Layers more easily (think fleece on fleece...)

Fleece:
    - Less expensive
    - Usually more durable to abrasion and tears
    - Increased breathability (depending on type)
    - Large assortment (Windproof, high loft, gridded)

Hybrid Synthetic/Down and Fleece:
    - Highly popular and versatile
    - Best of both worlds, insulates core while breathing in high heat areas
    - Can be versatile depending on design, however it can be niche too (think hybrid down/fleece)

Brands/Products that stand out:
    - Wild Things Insulight (Plus you can custom select density of insulation)
    - Arcteryx Atom LT(Obviously)
    - Patagonia (R1, R2, R3, Nanopuff, Down Shirt, Etc.)
    - Mont Bell
    - TNF (Super Zephyrus, Blaze, Micro Thunder, A-Back Hybrid, Jackson Hybrid, Etc.)
    - Marmot
    -REI Brand products
    - Melanzana
    - Eddie Bauer

Keep in mind that in terms of fleece, Polartec is used almost regardless of brand (so long as construction and warranty are good, go for less expensive). Synthetic is usually Primaloft, Coreloft, or Climashield. TNF has a particle treatment to some of their synthetics (for quick drying). Plus new technologies are on the horizon (or to market): Thermoball, Waterproof Down, Merino Wool insulation (Smartwool). I hope this is helpful.

TL;DR Fleece is a great addition to system that requires minimal increased warmth and breathes better. Synthetic/Down provides greater warmth for less weight (depending on the design). Factor in your environment and level of activity to make your choices.
    Last edited by urbantroy; 11-22-12 at 15:21. Reason: Too long of a post, added TL;DR

Feedback Score
    In my experience, fleece tends to have a hard time keeping you warm without a dedicated outer layer (goretex, etc) because the wind cuts right through it. This is the case with two sweaters I have; one in polartec wind-pro and one in polartec power-stretch FR.
    As long as you are planning on wearing a good outer layer, fleece is the better buy. But, if you want something that will stand up to the wind and function better as a stand-alone jacket, something like the Arc'teryx Atom LT is worth looking into.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus762x51 View Post
    In my experience, fleece tends to have a hard time keeping you warm without a dedicated outer layer (goretex, etc) because the wind cuts right through it. This is the case with two sweaters I have; one in polartec wind-pro and one in polartec power-stretch FR.
    I have two fleece jackets with WindShear and both are excellent at keeping the wind out. However, they leak wind at the zipper. I ride motorcycles year round so I have some pretty intense wind requirements.
    Better equipment doesn’t make you a better shot. Better practice makes you a better shot.

I’m not impressed by a lifetime warranty. I’m impressed by something built to last a lifetime!

American by birth, Veteran by choice!

Eric

Feedback Score
    Cold and dry? Down loft is great. Cold and wet? Not so much. Get goose down wet and you are in trouble. If you need something that will keep you warm even after you are soaked, look into a good, dense wool. The Scots and the Irish know a bit about keeping warm when they are wet....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossyrock View Post
    Cold and dry? Down loft is great. Cold and wet? Not so much. Get goose down wet and you are in trouble. If you need something that will keep you warm even after you are soaked, look into a good, dense wool. The Scots and the Irish know a bit about keeping warm when they are wet....
    I agree thats why I still contend with the weight of the WOOL in my hunting gear. Just in case.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A bit extreme, but loft seems to be preferred by some in wet conditions...

"The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Love those.mil Xtratuffs on that guy's feet

I spent last winter in a U.S. Army ECWCS Gen III Level 7 (that's a mouthful) that those guys look like they are wearing in the water. I wear the jacket down to -20F with only a lightweight merino wool shirt and light fleece shirt under it. _-40 F requires the addition of a 200 weight fleece coat also for light activity like riding a snowmachine.

I also own the pants and wear them regularly wear them under my uninsulated Goretex bibs.

I love this stupid coat. Cheap, too, from Ebay.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 11-25-12 at 19:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast