Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fleece vs. insulated loft jackets

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    A bit extreme, but loft seems to be preferred by some in wet conditions...
    With those two pics, explained it better than I ever could.

Feedback Score
    I was part of the test-bed fielding of ECWCS in Alaska about a hundred years ago. It does a good job, if used correctly. At that point, you could get an Article 15 for wearing cotton next to your skin with the ECWCS system. I love the coat. I just wish I could get one in all black.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossyrock View Post
    I was part of the test-bed fielding of ECWCS in Alaska about a hundred years ago. It does a good job, if used correctly. At that point, you could get an Article 15 for wearing cotton next to your skin with the ECWCS system. I love the coat. I just wish I could get one in all black.
    What are your thoughts on the Level 7? (IIRC) Climashield insulated pants?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It looks like the instructor in the pics above is wearing L7 jacket and trousers, and the students L7 jacket and softshell trousers.

I've always wondered why the L7 set lacks the quilting usually seen on loft garments.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by urbantroy View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Level 7? (IIRC) Climashield insulated pants?
    Don't have any experience with them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The nylon shell that you need to keep the fills captive reduces breathability considerably, this is the main disadvantage fill has against fleece.

If you are going to be active and you layer with traditional fleece (not windstoper or wind-pro, etc) then you can shed your shell layer and make use of that breathability, then shell back up when you stop moving or the conditions change.

Think of fill jackets as lighter weight fleeces with windbreakers laminated to them. You are cutting weight, but reducing some flexibility in how you adjust your layers to make your activity level and the conditions you're in.

I wear my Atom LT all the time, but it doesn't replace a micro-fleece and a wind shell when I'm outside and active for extended periods of time (backpacking or whatever). The Atom is fantastic for my "around town" usage where I want comfort and convenience. The fact that it's feather-weight is just a bonus that I don't take full advantage of.

Some writing I did on the subject a while back... (http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...hread.php?t=34)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12