Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sendero Project

Feedback Score

Sendero Project

Hi guys,

I have one bolt gun and its a Remington 700 Sendero in a standard length action. If you had this rife as a base and could modify anything but the action and the HS stock what would you do?
    Here's the rub.
    It must truly be the jack of all trades. Hunt, tactical and be a common caliber for SHTF ammo access . I understand this will not be the best on anything but what would you do so it can be the best it can be.
    Triggers
    Barrels
    Calibers
    Optics
    You name it but the basic action and stock from the Sendero aren't to be replaced.
    I know it's asking a lot but I am interested in what the gurus would do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First? Cut the barrel down 4-6 inches and change the bottom metal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd say stick with 308 and get a good 2.5-10 or 3-15 scope like a Vortex Viper PST or a Nightforce. Timney is a known good trigger but I don have much experience with them. I would then buy whatever good quality barrel that you can find in stock or that has the least wait times.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    18" light Palma .308, PTG bolt, AICS mags in an adjustable HTG stock. Something like a 3-12 or 3-15 on a 30mm tube in a nightforce one piece mount.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I'd say stick with 308 and get a good 2.5-10 or 3-15 scope like a Vortex Viper PST or a Nightforce. Timney is a known good trigger but I don have much experience with them. I would then buy whatever good quality barrel that you can find in stock or that has the least wait times.
    It's an 06 length action will that be an issue with the shorter cartridge?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    18" light Palma .308, PTG bolt, AICS mags in an adjustable HTG stock. Something like a 3-12 or 3-15 on a 30mm tube in a nightforce one piece mount.
    I want to keep the HS stock for now.

Also guys it want it on the heavy side. If hunting it would be a stand gun, I'm not climbing hills.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    308s work out of a long action but I would just step up to the 06 then.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    308s work out of a long action but I would just step up to the 06 then.
    It's a 270 now which is fine for hunting and common availability but tactically deficient without any match loads developed for it. I grew up reading O'Connors worship of the round and wasn't thinking tactical years ago when I bought it. I've thought about rebarreling to 30-06 to have match load options and upgraded barrel. The recoil on this heavy rifle is comfortable to me shooting off the bench with the 270 and I've had lighter weight 308's that were uncomfortable for any extended bench time. Never owned the 30-06 but figured its going to add some recoil over the 270 due to bullet weights. Also with the match crowd having long left the 06 behind in favor of shorter rounds I wast sure about the cost vs benefit to rebarreling for it.
    Last edited by Dobie; 06-09-13 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    Will work but will not be as reliable as it would be if you just went 30-06. 24" barrel. Option 2 sell the action.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Only thing really wrong with the 270 win is the lack of factory match ammo, it seams like every time I turn around someone is making a better long range .277 bullet. matrix, cutting edge
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast