Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage or Remington first precision bolt-gun

Feedback Score

Savage or Remington first precision bolt-gun

Hey guys i know there are threads with savage vs remington but most go in to building/working the action. If one is looking to do NO action work then which one is the better?

I'm just looking to at MOST slap a new stock on it, trigger, new bolt knob.

Of course rings, scope, bipod.

Feedback Score
    Remingon 700

Show me a savage with any appreciable round count.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Been reading how remmys aren't not like what they use to be.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Remingon 700

Show me a savage with any appreciable round count.
    I have a savage 10 mcmillan with a count nearing 2,500. Its shoots great. Just bought a savage precision carbine to hunt.

Remington and Savage both make excellent rifles out of the box. They are both comparable. Savages seem to cost a bit less and offer a bit more in my opinion (everyone seems to have one of those on this topic). Savage has a nice bolt handle which you may or may not choose to keep. The adjustable accutrigger works great and saves on a trigger upgrade. The accustock is ok for a factory offering. Its not as stiff as Id like it to be but Savage offers many different stock options. McMillan and HS precision are both great options.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Out of the box, I'm a savage guy.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    What's the best factory savage that's priced similarly to say the Remigton 700 SPS that you can build off of?
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't take a savage for free. Pappabear and I have been through 4 or 5 of the current Rem 700s and all have been just fine with the right ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This board will tell you Remington 700 is better over any savage and I have to agree. Remmy's are built better having compared my savage to my dad's remington.

That being said, I picked up a savage 10FLCPK because it had a larger availability for my tastes. #1, I needed a left handed bolt gun. All remmy offered was a varmit rifle in .308 and it had a standard size barrel, that was shorter as well, I think around 20" IIRC. The trigger on my savage is pretty nice according to my experience, it has a fluted match grade bull barrel, and it's threaded for a muzzle brake and suppressor mount. It is heavy, the bolt is tough to turn and fully cycle but it still suits my deer blind and shooting rest needs. I'm happy with it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    What's the best factory savage that's priced similarly to say the Remigton 700 SPS that you can build off of?
    are you referring to just SPS or any of the SPS's

Looking at Savage 10FL for 620 ish at the LGS.

I am a lefty as well and god I hate that. Looking in to corrective len for my right to maybe be able to shoot right handed

another thing is Remington doesn't have 22 or long barrel with 1:10 twist for .308 (175, 168 grain)
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 11-25-12 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I wouldn't take a savage for free. Pappabear and I have been through 4 or 5 of the current Rem 700s and all have been just fine with the right ammo.
    Been reading how the cambers are close to be too big. 2 of my friends have brand new remington's and measuring the spend brass they are very very close to being out of SAMMI limits.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast