Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage or Remington first precision bolt-gun

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aveisone View Post
    I have a savage 10 mcmillan with a count nearing 2,500.
    I said APPRECIABLE round count.

You know, like the action has survived multiple barrels. It's not uncommon to find remington actions with 20,000+ rounds still going strong. You even hear of 100,000rnds plus. 308's that have gone through a DOZEN barrels.

Show me a savage that has done that.
    Last edited by orkan; 11-25-12 at 21:24.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post

I am a lefty as well and god I hate that.
    Agreed.

So what we are summing up is that Remington does not cater to the left handed shooter as well as Savage has. Heck, I have a left handed Browning bolt gun that I am ecstatic with.

I wish wish wish Remington offered more for lefties, but they simply do not. That was the end of it for me. Not wanting to build my own gun from scratch, or have the only model 700 built up to better suit me immediately after buying it, I looked to companies other than remington for a left handed bolt gun.

Otherwise yes, the model 700 is a superior firearm, especially for being off the shelf.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry, I'm a Savage guy. The barrel nut mount is easier to work with/on than a thread on barrel for starters. The ambi tang safeties are a nice touch and the accutrigger is great. The Savage's I've shot and the ones I know others own are more than capable with factory barrels let alone aftermarket. No doubt there's more support for the 700, but I prefer to buck the trend and run something a little different.

Have a read below

"Savage Arms. Savage Arms are now the biggest manufacturer of bolt action rifles in the world producing around 400,000 rifles each year. Compare this to Sauer's 8,000 bolt action rifles per year and this gives you an idea as to the scale of production. Known for their out of the box accuracy it is fair to say that the Savage range of rifles are better known for function over form and in this respect they certainly don't disappoint. Savage are also the only mainstream manufacturer to build F Class, Benchrest and Palma competition guns as part of their standard line up. Make no mistake, whilst they are a factory built mass produced rifle they have been proven time and time again in International competition winning more than their fair share of medals at major competitions in F T/R guise especially. Osprey Rifles have a lot of experience with Savage rifles having built many a custom rifle on their Precision Target Action, indeed at the time of writing Stuart still holds the GB F Class Association record at 1,000 yards with a score of 75 ex 75 shot using a semi custom Savage F T/R with the only non standard part being the barrel. Interestingly the current US NRA record was shot on exactly the same day in August 2010 by John Weil of Team Savage with the equivalent score of 73 ex 75 using a bog standard factory F T/R - John's score is registered as 148 ex 150 as they score 10 for a bull in US F Class as opposed to our 5 points."

http://www.ospreyrifles.com/index.ph...76-savage-arms

MM
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 11-25-12 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I vote savage
    Last edited by Blayglock; 11-26-12 at 07:15.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Agreed.

So what we are summing up is that Remington does not cater to the left handed shooter as well as Savage has. Heck, I have a left handed Browning bolt gun that I am ecstatic with.

I wish wish wish Remington offered more for lefties, but they simply do not. That was the end of it for me. Not wanting to build my own gun from scratch, or have the only model 700 built up to better suit me immediately after buying it, I looked to companies other than remington for a left handed bolt gun.

Otherwise yes, the model 700 is a superior firearm, especially for being off the shelf.

I agree to an extent, almost all weapons are for right handed folks. Just something you gotta deal with. I would not even consider an inferior weapon just because it is a left handed gun. I can work the bolt just fine form a left handed shooting position....

My vote goes to the rem 700pss
    Last edited by Guns-up.50; 11-26-12 at 19:42.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

another thing is Remington doesn't have 22 or long barrel with 1:10 twist for .308 (175, 168 grain)
    cut it
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns-up.50 View Post
    cut it
    I assume you mis-read thinking I want a 22 or shorter. I really want 24 inch barrel. with 1:10 twist and remington doesn't offer that out of the box. 20 inch is all I think.

Feedback Score
    - Rem dont offer any target/tac/varmit guns in 6.5's

+i like rem action smoothness and bolt lift

+sav lets YOU be the gun smith, barrel swaps, bolt head swaps, bolt handle swaps all your self.

+rem-age barrels now let you bring the best of savage to a rem and do home bbl swaps..

-sav ejector springs suck, and need changed often, +there are free from savage with a call..

+rem has more stock options

+sav floating bolt head

-rem twist rates suck...
    Last edited by Ring; 11-26-12 at 20:16.

Feedback Score
    another thing is Remington doesn't have 22 or long barrel with 1:10 twist for .308 (175, 168 grain)
    1:12 will stabilize 175's just fine.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    I am not going to counter guys like Orkan's experience, they have it.

So I'm just going to pose this question: How much are you going to shoot it?

I would say that out of the box, the Savage has a higher probability of shooting well enough for you than the 700. Not that the 700 won't shoot fantastic either, but I've heard of enough problems to give me concern.

If you plan on doing absolutely no work, then the Savage has more features that I would want. The 700 is like the AR of the bolt gun world. Everyone makes parts for it, and just about everyone knows how to do quality work on it.

And while I can appreciate Orkan's round count argument, if you never plan on shooting the gun enough to wear out even a single barrel, then I don't think a gun lasting to 100,000 is relevant to you. Honestly, if you are going to spend that much on ammo, then you would have spent the money to buy something like a Surgeon or a GAP anyway.

Anyway, my pick: pick the one that is available and fits your budget. Go shoot and the rest will work itself out.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast