Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Game Hunting - Virginia

Feedback Score

Large Game Hunting - Virginia

I am wanting to get into large game hunting (primarily deer) in Virginia and am wondering if people have suggestions on what gun to use. I currently own a couple Daniel Defense ARs but I will need a caliber of .23 or larger per Virginia law.

I have been leaning towards purchasing a Remington 700 in .243 and I cannot find anything that says I should do otherwise.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meth0d View Post
    I am wanting to get into large game hunting (primarily deer) in Virginia and am wondering if people have suggestions on what gun to use. I currently own a couple Daniel Defense ARs but I will need a caliber of .23 or larger per Virginia law.

I have been leaning towards purchasing a Remington 700 in .243 and I cannot find anything that says I should do otherwise.
    Nothing wrong with your choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen what damage a .243 will do up close & personal & it will flat out do the job. I'd look at one in .308 though, simply because ammo availability & pricing. Either way you'll be gtg.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The .243 can be handloaded to win 1k yard matches and does just about everything a .260 does. I'd get the .243 but won't say a 700 in .308 is a bad choice as I have one myself.

Dano5326 Guest
    The VA I'm familiar with is thick woodland. Not sure you'd need the legs of a .243, but a nice round. A 44 lever gun or a 6.8 upper would be my choice inside of 150

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A 6.8 would be great. Really, there's a lot of choices. A 30-30 would damned sure do the job too as would a decently accurate AK.

Feedback Score
    The reason I was straying away from an upper was that I am attending a hunting trip to Anticosti island in Quebec next year and I don't want to screw around with their AR regulations.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So many choices...

300 Blk
    300 Fireball
    7.62R

If you want a Rem700 in 243, do it and don't worry about it.

If you want an AR based hunting rig, I would say the 300 Blk would be a perfect fit for someone already an "AR guy".

I would also say that if you are doing a Rem 700, I would just get the 308 and have a more versatile setup, with a more robust selection of ammo from everywhere. The 243 will do it, but the 308 has more going for it overall.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Either 243 or 308 will take Virginia white-tails. Northern deer tend to grow a bit bigger/heavier, but the 243 will flat-out work.

I'd bet you can probably find a nice, used Remington 700 for not too ridiculous a price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Meth0d View Post
    The reason I was straying away from an upper was that I am attending a hunting trip to Anticosti island in Quebec next year and I don't want to screw around with their AR regulations.
    Will you be hunting the same sized animals up there, or something bigger? Might affect caliber choice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast