Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Splash/Frag/Spall Guards for Steel Rifle Plates, Ver. 4.2.3 Shoot Test Added!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Custom Splash/Frag/Spall Guards for Steel Rifle Plates

PLEASE USE IM FOR QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

*****VERSION 4.2.3 SHOOT TEST******

https://drmorgear.wordpress.com/2014...patriot-plate/

Check out Extreme Duty Plate Backers as well: https://drmorgear.wordpress.com/2015...ed-pre-orders/

Most everyone who wears rifle armor is familiar with "plate backers," thick, layered-fabric pieces of armor that fit behind plates and protect from penetrating rounds, rear face spallation, and add blunt trauma absorbtion.

But unfortunately, up until now, there was nothing for the front of steel rifle plates, leading to a dangerous situation:

Steel rifle plates are light, thin, and inexpensive. Unfortunately, when using steel (and even some ceramic plates), bullet impacts that do not defeat the armor will result in front face spall (also known as splash) that can injure or even kill. At the very least, it is a potentially dangerous distraction.

I have been building slip-on spall guards for over 6 years, and will custom built to fit ANY steel or ceramic rifle plates, and completely envelope the strike face of the plate. A special form of Kevlar 129 on the strike face will trap fragments within the guard. In 6 years, I have continually improved the design.

THESE ARE CURRENTLY THE *ONLY* ALL-FABRIC FRONT FACE SPLASH/SPALL GUARDS THAT WORK. THEY PROVIDE NO BALLISTIC PROTECTION ON THEIR OWN (AS IS THE CASE FOR ALL SPALL SOLUTIONS), AND REQUIRE THE USE OF A STEEL RIFLE/BALLISTIC PLATE TO FUNCTION PROPERLY. TO ADDRESS REAR FACE SPALL/PENETRATION/PLATE FAILURE, YOU WILL NEED PLATE BACKERS.

Most front-face spalling/splash/frag travels along the face of the plate, to exit out the edges. My guards slow and capture this fragmentation before it can exit your plate carrier. The number one question I get is "do your guards address the 90 degree spall issue?" Yes. The edges are an area of particular attention, and have been since I started building these in 2007.

There are currently 3 (good) options for controlling spall. They all work well, but there are tradeoffs to all of them:

1-"Metal Picture Frame Method"- Good spall absorption, heavier, thicker, metallic, semi-sacrificial (multiple hits), medium-high price point, only available on specific plates, sharp edges.

2- My Spall guards- Good spall absorption, durable, protects plate finish, thinner, lighter, non-metallic, moderately sacrificial, (multiple hits) medium-high price point, any plate, padded/comfortable, lifetime guarantee.

3- Rubber coating (Line-X/Rhino Lining)- Good spall absorption, durable, protects plate finish, thicker, heavier, non-metallic, sacrificial coating (4-6 hits max), medium price point, any plate.

THE MANY "DIY" GUARDS THAT I HAVE SEEN DO NOT WORK. Trying to slap something together with off the shelf truck bed liner and woven Kevlar KM2 just results in a smelly, heavy, thick mess on your plate that won't do anything but give you a headache. Incoming rounds blow huge craters in this "brute force" attempt.

****I guarantee all of my guards for life against workmanship defects, and will repair or replace any that are used in a documented self-defense or duty situation FREE OF CHARGE for life. This is fully transferrable to whomever has the guards when they are used***

EXTENSIVELY TESTED- BELOW IS A PICTURE OF THE INTERIOR OF A 6X6 SIDE PLATE GUARD AFTER BEING HIT AT 10 FEET WITH A ROUND OF M193. ALL FRAGMENTS WERE CONTAINED WITHIN THE NYLON OUTER SHELL.

This was a worst-case scenario hit, as the plate was placed at a 45 degree angle (allowing the fragments to retain more velocity), edge hit (placing more stress on the anti-spall material), close range (the projectile had nearly all of its initial velocity), and smaller plate (fragments have much less space to travel before reaching the edge of the plate and potentially escaping). Note the material did not shred or fail as is the case with ALL other fabric based/rigid anti-spall solutions.

The plate stopped the round, and the guard stopped the splash!

NEW VERSION (4.4.1) is made with IR spec Coyote 1000 Denier Cordura nylon on the outside, enhanced edge trauma reduction, a special variant of Kevlar 129 as the defeat material, and has full 360 degree spall/splash protection.

PRICING:

10X12 Primary Splash Guards: $52 each + shipping
    $100 for a pair + shipping.

11X14 Primary Splash Guards: $64 each + shipping
    $120 for a pair + shipping

Announcing the newest version of side plate splash/spall guards. Improved form factor, better 360 degree coverage, improved comfort and fit. These are available on a custom basis for all sizes of side plates, from 6X6 all the way up to 10X10, and all in-between sizes (6X7, 6X8, 7X7, 7X8, 8X8, 8X10).

Designed to completely encapsulate the plate to prevent impact splash from exiting, these ensure your armor keeps you SAFE, and is not a secondary danger to you or those around you. Compatible with all other D-Rmor Gear plate plate carrier equipment.

SIDE GUARDS TEMPORARILY DISCONTINUED DUE TO EXTREME BACKLOG. I AM ONE GUY DOING THIS IN MY SPARE TIME.

I accept USPS money order or cash only. No PP, no personal checks, no bank money orders!

THESE ARE DESIGNED TO WORK WITH THE FOLLOWING PLATES:

AR500
    Targetman
    Steel Defender
    Diamondback Tactical
    Flash Bainite
    Armored Mobility
    Infidel

AND I CAN BUILD THEM TO ORDER FOR ANY PLATE CURRENTLY MADE.

THE FOLLOWING PICTURES SHOW STEEL PLATES WITH TRUCK BED LINER. NOTE THAT THE IMPACTS REMOVE THE LINER, RENDERING THE PLATES LESS EFFECTIVE FOR FOLLOW-ON SHOTS (Thanks to VFLORES915 for use of the pictures):

Showing the spalling still present even with the liner, struck with two rounds of 7.62X39.

Close up of the ablation of the liner.

My guards to not exhibit ablation due to material choice.

Factors that make these the best spall guards you can get:

1) Non-permanent, replaceable deployment- can swap the guards between plates.

2) Elegant, low-drag solution- no duct tape 'n gorilla glue here.

3) Effective- in tests, cuts down on spall by nearly 98%.

4) Low weight, small size- adds less than 4 oz. per plate, and less than 1/4" thickness total. COMPARE to Rhino Lining, which adds nearly 3/8" thickness and nearly half a pound, or metallic solutions which add even more weight.

5) Durable- specialized, non-fraying ballistic defeat material and ultra tough 1000 Denier Cordura nylon.

6) Extra protection to the plates- helps prevent dents, dings, chips and cracks in your rifle plates. Think of them like seat covers for your new car, but with more oomph!

7) Is engineered- Truck bed liner is not particularly effective unless it is troweled on thick. These guards use cutting edge, specialized Kevlar material.

8) Multi-Hit Effective- Truck bed liner works well for approximately 4 rounds, at which point its spall absorption drops dramatically. Spall guards remain effective longer, and are easily replaced after use.

9) Odor free- Lined plates have a strong chemical odor that can persist for months.

10) IT WORKS- Other "solutions" using woven Kevlar try to throw more material at the problem, but they fail, because woven Kevlar does not work very well against small, high velocity fragments. Duct taping old vest material also lowers your CDI* factor.

Delivery: currently 8-10 days from receipt of payment to delivery. (I am just one guy doing this in my spare time).

I accept USPS money order, silver bullion/junk, or cash only. No PP, no personal checks, no bank money orders.

Thanks!

*Chicks Dig It
    Last edited by D-R; 04-03-17 at 18:22.
    NEED GOOD INFO ON BODY ARMOR? Follow me at: http://www.drmorgear.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    NEW MATERIAL- IR Compliant Coyote Brown Cordura outer shell
    Last edited by D-R; 03-06-14 at 21:16.
    NEED GOOD INFO ON BODY ARMOR? Follow me at: http://www.drmorgear.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    BTT...