Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SCAR H vs 7.62 AR

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LtNovakUSA View Post
    I've been running both the SCAR17 and SR25 EMC for close to a year now. If you have the scratch to get the SR25 go for it, it's been nothing short of outstanding in the 3k rounds I've put through it. Accurate as hell, reliable and just overall a finely made gun. I like it better than my SCAR. That said the SCAR is also a good gun. It's just as reliable, but not as accurate. The thin barrel profile makes the groups open up a little bit as it heats up, whereas the SR25 is pretty consistent after extended firing. SCAR mags seem to come and go, luckily I was able to snag 20 at the Ft Benning PX, but the SR25 mags are everywhere. Note on the PMAGs, they tend not to like rounds loaded to max overall length. Long rounds such as M118LR tend to barely fit, and can hang up when feeding. I had a few nosedive into the front wall of the Mag, causing a malfunction (the only malfunction I've ever had with the SR25). All in all they're both great guns, but IMO, the SR25 just has it over the SCAR17.
    I also have both however my SR-25 will only function properly with black hills red box ammo, FGMM and hornady just short stroke non stop. SCAR on the other hand would probably eat wolf if I wanted it to. Both are good guns, just don't like the ammo pickiness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LtNovakUSA View Post
    SCAR mags seem to come and go, luckily I was able to snag 20 at the Ft Benning PX, but the SR25 mags are everywhere. Note on the PMAGs, they tend not to like rounds loaded to max overall length. Long rounds such as M118LR tend to barely fit, and can hang up when feeding. I had a few nosedive into the front wall of the Mag, causing a malfunction (the only malfunction I've ever had with the SR25).
    I keep hearing the argument that Pmag compatibility is a great parameter to consider when selecting a 7.62. Yet at the same time I keep hearing about issues with 7.62 Pmags and how they should really only be used as training mags. So what does that leave you with for the "non-training" mags? KAC, close to $100/piece mags, or LaRue I guess. Now I've never had a problem shelling out the cash for good proprietary mags for my guns (if I had a KAC, I'd buy KAC mags for it). Why spend the cash on $2K+ rifles and skimp on the most important piece of component hardware for it in terms of functional reliability? I have a SCAR and have no issue spending $40 a piece on mags. But guess what, people are modifying their SCAR lowers to accept, of all things, Pmags! Insanity.

ETA, One more example I found under the "training" header written by L. Vickers regarding Pmags in his last Battle Rifle class:

"The KAC SR25 carbines in the class not only were accurate but reliable - the only two stoppages out of 4000-5000 rds shot thru 10 different guns was an over insertion of a PMAG and a failure to feed from a PMAG ( both mag related IMO) ;I was extremely impressed. KAC has really put serious effort into making that carbine accurate and reliable. Trust me just a few years ago the results would have been different . From what I saw if you are looking for a 7.62 AR style carbine your first look should be at a KAC SR25 setup - I was truly blown away
    Also the PMAG's as I was told before the class by several guys are fine for range use but for anything serious use the current KAC mags - they have really worked those out also"

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117181
    Last edited by JPB; 12-02-12 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It would be cool if Magpul made GEN M3 .308 mags to address any issues with the current 20LR. :-)
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    It would be cool if Magpul made GEN M3 .308 mags to address any issues with the current 20LR. :-)
    That would be cool...

...wait... I see what you did there...
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Would it be cool if they had them out in three months?

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Dano5326 Guest
    It would be cool if they offered 25rd 7.62 mags

Feedback Score
    I always had a problem with the feedlips spreading if I left the PmagLR's loaded for more than a day or two. They would still work but they wouldn't drop out of the gun (LMT MWS).

Judging the SCAR against AR10 type rifles you first need to establish what you want to do with the rifle.

If this is just a recreational gun then get what ever floats your boat. Most of these type of threads (not saying that yours is) are from people who want others to make them feel good about what they want.

If your looking for help in logically deciding what it is that you need then consider these three main criteria Weight, Reliability, and Accuracy as well as these two lesser criteria support, and modularity.

Accuracy while important is usually an over rated criteria in my opinion. As long as a rifle will hold an honest 2 MOA that is more than enough for just about any practical shooting you will do outside of being a sniper or bench rest competitor. If little groups is your goal then the SCAR 17s isn't gonna be your bag. If you get one expect 1.5 MOA type accuracy with the right ammo. If thats not enough then drive on to the AR10.

Weight is where the SCAR is hard to beat. Its an 8 lbs. gun from the factory minus optic. If you plan to carry your .308 rifle for extended periods the SCAR 17s is your friend. I have an LMT MWS that I tried to make into a run and gun type carbine, and while it can be done I was really trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

It's hard to quantify reliability. We want it to be cut and dried but it isn't. I can tell you that MY SCAR 17s has aprox 3000 round through it with zero problems. Everything from 110 gr TAP to 175 gr FGMM including 500 rounds of brownbear and just about every type of surplus under the sun has fed and fired just fine. Again mine is a sample of one. Read around online and make your own conclusions but you will find quite a few reports like mine about the SCAR 17s. Look for patterns. A lot of people in the know don't care for the SCAR but I have never heard one of their complaints been that it wasn't reliable.

As for suport parts are becoming more and more availible. Enough SCARs are out in the wild now that the market is taking notice and starting to support the system.

The modularity of the SCAR is just now begining to be tapped into by the aftermarket. A lot of good things I believe are coming the SCAR's way.

The SCAR 17s is a great rifle but it might not be the rifle for your needs. Figure out what it is you really need first.
    Last edited by KG_mauserman; 12-02-12 at 14:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll just echo what's already been stated here:

It depends on your needs. I have a 20" AR10 set up to shoot sub-MOA. My 16" SCAR is purposed as a general use carbine. In finger-banging all sorts of 7.62 rifles, I found that the SCAR balanced the best, and the folding stock was a nice feature to boot.

I have not tried the PredatAR, but my experience is that AR10s tended to be heavier than the SCAR17. Although, the nature of the bigger 7.62 barrel will result in a heavier front end, regardless or which platform you choose.

Magazines are not a problem. I purchased a SCAR17 in early November ( the day of the election), and I already have 11 magazines, ranging from $34-59.999.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Haha such a tease man, such a tease.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234