Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCAR H vs 7.62 AR

Feedback Score

SCAR is a good first attempt

The Scar was the winning entry for the new 7.62 battle rifle - I have had the opportunity to shoot a few - My range partners ran out and bought them after they came out - I have wanted a 7.62 semi auto for a good long time - I had my sites set on the SCAR until I discovered that stocking magazines was an exercise in futility - And I do not care for how the rifle bolt operates - I looked around - Talked to everyone that had knowledge that I could find - Read everything available and finally decided to go with the LaRue OBR with the 18" barrel - It runs Magpul Magazines - I own a Wilson M4 and run only Pmags and they have never failed - Not to mention I can buy 20 round Pmags for the LaRue for $18.00 each - It should be delivered in early March - Will post photos as soon as it arrives

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have experience with all of the known 7.62 semi autos, and while my sigline shows a clear bias, the only 7.62 gun I will pay for is an SR25. The scar has some positive attributes, but the negatives are not worth the cost savings to me.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    So I should keep this OBR?

Hmm....need to get some more SCAR time to decide.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Now this is only my experience with a total of one rifle, but the particular Scar 17 that my friend owns has destroyed 2 burris eliminator 3 scopes. I know Burris is not high end and I understand that it's more the scope than the rifle but it is something to consider.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 12-01-12 at 14:36.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I love my Scar 17. Its been reliable and that is not something I can say for previous .308 AR's I have owned. Its light weight, relatively accurate. You do need to put solid optics on it however it will destory an Eocrap in no time flat.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I acquired a SCAR 17 earlier this year for around $2550. I thought long and hard about the departure from my familiar M4's in 5.56 and 6.8spc.

Now that I've probably run north of 600 rounds thru the SCAR 17, my thoughts are:

PRO's:
    lighter than most comparable 308's
    dead nuts reliable, not one issue with ammo of all types
    accurate enough, I average around 1.5" @ 100yds

CON's:
    expensive
    changing your "manual of arms" vs M4 w/charging handle
    factory trigger will likely need help

I carry mine alot on my farm, so the light weight is what has sealed the deal for me. My factory trigger was nicely cleaned up for $80 in 2 days, by Bill Springfield. The magazines are significantly easier to find now vs 1 yr ago. I guess my best expression of satisfaction...I bought a SCAR 16 and rigged it the same. While I thoroughly enjoy my M4's, the SCAR 17 with Leupold VX-6 has become my "go to" gun for my needs.

Look at what your needs are. If the budget is tight, you can get an M4 pattern 308 much less costly, conversely, if the budget is open, you can probably get a more accurate, but heavier, long range platform e.g. LaRue or Knights.

Good Luck with your search Will.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    What is your intended use? If you want a battle rifle 400 yards in, the SCAR-17 wins hands down over any AR-10 variant. It's very light weight, and you can run it suppressed easily thanks to its adjustable gas block. It field strips easily and is very easy to clean. I run a Vortex flash hider on mine, and the recoil is not bad at all for a .308 rifle. The downside is that it's not a precision rig, and will never approach the accuracy potential of something like an SR-25 or Larue OBR due to the SCAR's larger reciprocating mass (piston style gas system as opposed to a gas tube). The SCAR H, as Alaskanpopo pointed out, also has a recoil impulse that tends to chew up crappy optics and shake loose scope mounts. I would only put something like an Aimpoint, Nightforce or S&B on it, held in place by a high quality mount.

I love my SCAR Heavy, and I wouldn't trade it in for any other 16" battle rifle. If I need something like a DMR or sniper rig, I think a LaRue OBR or Knight's SR-25 is the way to go. Either system is going to cost you a crap ton of money by the time you deck it out with an optic and accessories.

Feedback Score
    Not a lot of experience with the SCAR-H, but I did get to run a mag through one not too long ago and fondle it at length. Fingerbanged the new Colt .308 right after that. My impression was that the SCAR shot great, I liked the manual of arms (with one exception), and it certainly wins in the weight and low recoil departments. What I HATED was the feel of the safety selector. I far preferred the normal feel of the Colt .308 rifle, as it was more like any generic AR. Perhaps there are aftermarket solutions to make it better, but that was the only thing that made me not really sad that I can't afford one right now. YMMV.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    What I HATED was the feel of the safety selector
    The magpul selectors are a night and day difference. 1000% better accessibility and are like $13-16. Easy fix.

The SCAR 17 isn't quite OBR accurate but it's close to a MOA gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Compared to an LMT the SCAR is lighter. The SCAR trigger sux and a good trigger will cost $400. The trigger improves with use and is generally manageable if not sweet. Magazines are a problem but do you really need 20 magazines? Buy a couple now and wait until availability improves to buy a few more. That said it is hard as hell to beat a quality AR. Whether or not the SCAR accomplishes this will vary with the user and the application. Unless you are going to carry the thing around where the weight is a significant issue then the nod goes to the SCAR. The safety selector to me is a non-issue.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-01-12 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by g3k View Post
    The magpul selectors are a night and day difference. 1000% better accessibility and are like $13-16. Easy fix.

The SCAR 17 isn't quite OBR accurate but it's close to a MOA gun.

Aw, dang. And I was just getting used to my sour grapes attitude about it. Now you had to go and post that and make me want a SCAR again!
    Crossing the Noobicon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast