Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR Trainer Inquiry

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

.22LR Trainer Inquiry

I'm posting this in a couple other places, so as to get a broad answer sample.

I've been thinking about purchasing a bolt-action .22LR when I get home. Trouble is, I'm not sure which one yet.

The mission profile for it is use as a precision shooting trainer, as well as something to cap rabbits with. A mix of practice and practical. I'd like a 16" barrel, and will be suppressed at some point in the future, a threaded barrel would be nice. I plan to set it up much like Kyle Defoor's everyman hunting rifle in that it will have side-mounted QD swivels and a VCAS sling. I'd also like to mount a rail to one side of the stock (for a light mount) and one on the bottom (so I can use my Atlas bipod via the ADM QD mount.) That stuff will probably be a DIY thing, so I'd like a synthetic stock to work with. It's gonna get dinged up anyways; I don't want to cry about scratches on a nice wood stock. Already have a Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 mildot scope with mil adjustments on hand that will be used on this.

The two rifles I've been considering for this role are the Savage MkII FV-SR and the CZ452. The Savage would be the obvious low-cost option, since it comes pre-threaded and has a synthetic stock ready for me to butcher. The CZ is more expensive, and looks like it'd require a new stock and barrel threading, which would add up.

From what I keep reading, the CZ is more highly spoken of. The Savage's stock aparently bends quite easily under pressure, and most replacement stocks for it are either wood (blech) or cost much more than the base rifle, like Manners. I've been looking around at various mods like new bottom metal from DIP, but it's all still somewhat abstract to me, as the bulk of my long gun experience is with AR-pattern rifles. I don't want to break the bank on a .22, but I don't want something that's gonna leave me frustrated either. Going with the Savage and modding from there seems like a logical starting point, but I'd like to know what other options are available. Given the above, what would you recommend?

Feedback Score
    At my club we shoot rimfire matches out to 200 yards and shoot steel out to 300 yards. It is a good way to hone your skills before breaking out the centerfire rifle. I own a CZ452 Lux and 2 Savage rifles. All three are good shooters. The only caveat is that one of the Savage rifles has a wood stock that will be difficult to bed properly for good accuracy. It is a Savage MKII FV-SR and I did not realize it had a wood stock until after I purchased it. It will shoot outstanding one hole groups at 50 yards, then send a round out of the group to open it up to 3/4" once in a while. Bedding should cure the problem.

The other Savage is a MKII with peep sights and it will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with good ammunition. I recommend Wolf Match Target ammunition for precision rimfire shooting. RimfireCentral.com has a lot of good information about rimfire rifles and I highly recommend checking out the website.

Feedback Score
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Thanks for the link. I was not aware this rifle was available. I can feel my credit card aching as I type this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mine gets delivered tomorrow. I'm hoping it works out as well as I think.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    CZ for rimfire bolt gun. I have a 455 Varmint in .22 LR I love. Got a .17 HMR barrel I'm going to put on it tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    For the love of all that is holy... WHY IN THE **** did they have to make them with the safety backwards?

I could never grow to love something in which the safety had to be PULLED to the REAR in order to fire. Were it not for this one fact, I would probably have 6 of them.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    I'm posting this in a couple other places, so as to get a broad answer sample.

I've been thinking about purchasing a bolt-action .22LR when I get home. Trouble is, I'm not sure which one yet.

The mission profile for it is use as a precision shooting trainer, as well as something to cap rabbits with. A mix of practice and practical. I'd like a 16" barrel, and will be suppressed at some point in the future, a threaded barrel would be nice. I plan to set it up much like Kyle Defoor's everyman hunting rifle in that it will have side-mounted QD swivels and a VCAS sling. I'd also like to mount a rail to one side of the stock (for a light mount) and one on the bottom (so I can use my Atlas bipod via the ADM QD mount.) That stuff will probably be a DIY thing, so I'd like a synthetic stock to work with. It's gonna get dinged up anyways; I don't want to cry about scratches on a nice wood stock. Already have a Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 mildot scope with mil adjustments on hand that will be used on this.

The two rifles I've been considering for this role are the Savage MkII FV-SR and the CZ452. The Savage would be the obvious low-cost option, since it comes pre-threaded and has a synthetic stock ready for me to butcher. The CZ is more expensive, and looks like it'd require a new stock and barrel threading, which would add up.

From what I keep reading, the CZ is more highly spoken of. The Savage's stock aparently bends quite easily under pressure, and most replacement stocks for it are either wood (blech) or cost much more than the base rifle, like Manners. I've been looking around at various mods like new bottom metal from DIP, but it's all still somewhat abstract to me, as the bulk of my long gun experience is with AR-pattern rifles. I don't want to break the bank on a .22, but I don't want something that's gonna leave me frustrated either. Going with the Savage and modding from there seems like a logical starting point, but I'd like to know what other options are available. Given the above, what would you recommend?
    Was looking at the Savage MKII FV-SR myself as a general plinker and small game gun. Seems like a heck of a deal for the $$$.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Savage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    CZ-455, so much higher quality than Savage, I think even nicer than late model 77/22s.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast